[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Spell Resist Check Change?

Spell Resist Check Change?

Spell, Spell Quest, Aura, Totem and AA discussion.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

Spell Resist Check Change?

Postby Valdemar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:25 am

Hello all;

I was looking through Allakhazam's and Lucy's spell lists primarily to get a feel for the new spells, but also to check for spell changes and updates to existing spell lines. I noticed that some spells, namely Maloxxx line and the Txxxx Insect's line of spells, are listed as checking against magic rather than disease. Didn't these spells check against disease? Has there been a change or is this just inaccurate? The partial slows like Plague of Insects/Cloud of Grummus/Hungry Plague line still show a resist check against disease. :?

Starting with Insidious Malady (Level 52 Disease Resist debuff) they have this line as unresistable (lower level versions still are listed as checking against disease with no resist modifier). I don't remember my Level 52/63 disease debuffs being unresistable ?!? Is this a change, or inaccurate info?

Regards,
Valdemar
Valdemar

Server: Saryrn

Re: Spell Resist Check Change?

Postby Tanot » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:44 am

I thought the whole reason for the partial disease-based slows was that they didn't use magic-based checks like the full version? This is why they slow for less as fewer mobs are disease resistant so you can get a partial one on while you are trying to land the MR-based. Could be wrong though, my shm is an alt.

On the DR debuff question, looking at doesn't appear to show any recent changes to the resist check so I would think that it was always like that.
Tanot

Beastlord Main
Druid - Alt/Box
Paladin - Alt/Box

Postby Valdemar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey Tanot, thanks for replying.

The Maloxxx line of spells debuff everything BUT disease. This was because they checked against disease for resistance. The spell itself, might be magic-based, but I'm talking about what the spell checks against for the mob to resist it. I think you understood this, but I'm repeating it for clarity's sake. I mean, when I was a baby SHM waaaaay back in the day, you'd pull with your best disease debuff, so that malo and slow (which I learned checked against disease) would have a much better chance of landing. I know I'm not hallucinating about this. My wife's first character was an ENC and her Tash line never did anything for helping me land a slow - which it most definitely would have if Txxxxx Insect's had been checking against magic all those years. In fact, the spell descriptions say that the Txxxx Insects line of spells "Increase Disease Counter by 00". No, it was the disease resist debuffs that made Malxxxx and slow spells more likely to land without resists. So, unless its been changed and I never noticed it before, or the spell info is wrong, then I must be thoroughly confused.

To be honest, I've never quite understood why we have a line of disease-based partial slows to begin with. Obstensibly, they were designed for mobs that mitigated slow, but I stopped using them. For one thing, until you get Hungry Plague at level 70, disease-based partial slows are S-L-O-W casting spells, and secondly, because against mobs that mitigate slow, I could never tell a difference between a mob with regular slow (mitigated down) and a mob with the partial slow on. You could throw Malicious Decay (level 63, disease resist dubuff -51, only 150 mana, 1 second to cast) and then follow it with Hungry Plague (40% slow, only 3 seconds to cast) in a total of about 4 seconds. But, before you get Hungry Plague at level 70, the lower level disease-based slows are actually SLOW casting, like Cloud of Grummus takes 6.5 seconds. Casting Malos (level 65, unresistable) followed immediately by Balance of Nihil (level 65, -40 MR) takes a total of only 6 seconds.

Anyway, I digress. I just don't remember my Txxxx Insects and Maloxxxx lines checking against magic. That really threw me when I saw it. I haven't played in a while so it could be that I simply confused it. If that's the reality then I've been playing wrong for a LONG time (throwing Malaise line to decrease disease resist to get slows to land). I also don't remember Malicious Decay and Insidious Malady being unresistable, but again, I could simply be a 'tard. Again, thanks for the reply. If you find anything that confirms or denies, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,
Valdemar
Valdemar

Server: Saryrn

Postby Tanot » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:33 am

Tanot

Beastlord Main
Druid - Alt/Box
Paladin - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:47 pm

There's a lot of nonesense in this thread:

Malo line: unresistable. debuffs magic, cold, fire, poison resists. dispell or radiant cure to remove.
Malisement type line. magic resist to land. debuffs magic, cold, fire, poison resists, for more than the equivalent malo spell. dispell or radiant cure to remove.
Turgurs Insects Line. magic resist to land. slows mob and gives disease counter. curable by disease cure.
Disease slow line, introduced @ luclin extended in god. disease resist to land, curable by disease cure.
AE Slow line. magic resist to land. slows mob and gives disease counter. curable by disease cure.

Defensivce proc slows: introduced in DoD. cast the spell on someone. mob hitting them triggers the slow on the mob. disease resist to land, last 3 ticks.

It's been a LONG time since any of this has changed.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Funi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Txxx Insects line has always been a magic resist to land but was a disease counter to cure which is where I think the confusion comes.
Funi

Shaman Main

Postby Unmei » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Boy this thread is full of garbledness.

Veril is correct on all points though. I will add, however, that the REASON for disease resisted slows is they were a sort of "raid mob only" slow mitigation - basically, Sony had been making raid mobs immune to magic for all useful intents and purposes because getting a 75% slow on them made them stupid gimp, so they gave shamans a wussy diseased based slow to allow them to slow those mobs a little bit.

Then they introduced mitigation in PoP,but gave you an upgrade to disease slow anyway, and then killed the disease slow line after that because from then it on it had no purpose.
Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Tanot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:08 am

Good I'm glad that I wasn't going mad! Always thought that shaman main slow was MR based.
Tanot

Beastlord Main
Druid - Alt/Box
Paladin - Alt/Box

Postby WaringMcMarrin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Yep slow has always been magic based with the few exceptions and they added disease counters to them so that it could be cured rather then dispelled.

WaringMcMarrin

Veteran -

Server: The Tribunal(Ayonae Ro)

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Return to Spells & Abilities