[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Powersource

Powersource

Information about gear drops and quests, including Epics; also gear checks.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

Powersource

Postby Sowslow » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:54 pm

We beat Solt a little bit ago, but I missed one of the kills and just recently unlocked all the powersources. I was looking for the best one and see most top end shaman have the growth one. Is it only for show, highest HPs possible, or do you really like it over the others. Based on it looks like growth is only 720 total hps over the death one but the death one include the same amount of mana and some ac which doesn't mean a lot but is better than minus almost 300. This is based on 9 pieces of infusible gear with 80 purity. So is the 720hp gain greater than a 720mana and over 300ac gain?
Sowslow

Server: The Rathe -> Quellious -> Povar

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Re: Powersource

Postby Zama » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:40 pm

well, seeing as how magelo is ranked, as for rankings yes. you will also see a lot of shaman have other orbs in their bags too though. they are really situational, such as growth for fights with big ae's where you arent being melee hit that much, elemental for fights where your being both hit, as well as ae'd. also, death has a lot of negative mods, which while most people are maxed on, the degree to which a full set of death bringing you would uncap most shaman from the limit

*edit*

also, its an easy way to see where you are compared to other shaman, seeing as how growth has become pretty universal on shaman magelos, elemental for most warriors, ethereal for clerics, metal for knights, etc.

Zama

Shaman Main

Postby Sowslow » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply.
For comparison I can see the reason, but I guess I am still missing why you wouldn't use the death orb for normal use. For 9 pieces infused gear at an avg of 80 purity each, you get 720 hp/mana/end 36 ac and only loose 72 sta/str/dex/agi which comes nowhere near lowering me below the cap and I am not near the top 100 shaman in the game. For growth you get 1440 hp/end and loose 288 ac and 288 agi, which might take me below the cap. Is the extra 720hp worth the difference of 324 ac and 720 mana? The 720 mana gives me a cast of halcyon whisper that more than makes up for the 720 hps difference.
Also, it seems like the death orb is better than the elemental orb as you gain 720 mana at the expense of not gaining 36 ac, seems like a good trade off to me.
Sowslow

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:43 am

IME all the shaman who have growth on their Magelos don't have it in general use. They just equip growth for the magelo shot.

Personally I love elemental, good & solid in every circumstance.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Zama » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:49 pm

few quick things to sum up, a- speaking personally, and think its the general idea for most shaman who play highend, that mana isnt much of a concern. id personally take 100ac over 1000 mana 9 times outta 10, so thats why elemental would be better. as far as why death is no good, -3 atk, -3 HPregen, -3 mana reg, -3 endur regen, -3 damage shield, -3 combat effects, -3 shielding, -3 spell shield, -3 avoidance, -3 accuracy, -3 stun resist, -3 strikethrough, -3 DoT shielding, is added to each piece of gear effected by a powersource(taken from duke latan website). those things in bold, will make a HUGE difference. a full set of infusible gear(minus weapons) would be negative 24 to each of these. looking at your magelo, that would leave you with 2 shielding, 14 dot shielding and 21 spell shielding. in normal groups where you dont need to tank as much, or take big ae's, it might be decent, but in raids, youd want something else.
Zama

Shaman Main

Postby Sowslow » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks again, that is the first time I have ever seen the mod part. I wonder why the other sites don't show those, but it makes a huge difference and would never choose the death one now.
Sowslow

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Zama » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Zama

Shaman Main

Postby Unmei » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:02 am

I still want to know who thinks these things are remotely anywhere close to being balanced. WTF, Decay Orb.
Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Veril » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:27 pm

The orbs just make no sense, so many of them are utterly crap. I simply don't understand the thinking and design time that went into them, the vast majority of them have such big drawbacks that they should never be used.

growth if you want good HP.
elemental and light for general all around goodness, (light for more mana)
metal if you want good HP.

pretty much that's it.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:54 pm

I think they built them when they were drunk. Or used a magic eight ball to determine stats... Or perhaps a dart board.

I always wondered what the hell they were thinking with those too. There are a couple that are pretty useful and the rest just seem to be something out of a bad acid flashback.

Like Unmei said, who the hell would equip that one with 99% negative stats and some minor positive stats? I'd be curious how they made them and what their thinking was on it.

Peace
Ride free brother.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:33 pm

In design, the orbs affected more than stats. In particular, they affected focus effects. "The healing one", "the nuking one", "the Fero one", "the Parry one", etc. Energeiac armors would have been nearly unusable without power source in that design, and ended up being barely usable WITH power source, because no one wants to use just one focus at time. That was changed, and the ones that people would never use now are those that had the most significant boosts to things that were chopped off the power sources, and we're left to cherry pick the ones that sucked before with "just" stats. It's a good thing.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:09 pm

ah. I see now.

thanks Brohg
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Douglasone » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 am

use the growth one for magelo like everyone else, but for evveryday use I use the Light . No negs anywhere, and decent bonuses to ac, hps and mana. With full raid buffs, auras all going and banner nearby, and light PS I have about 39k+ hps and just over 30k mana. I am in full MMM gyro cored SoF raid armor with , atm, 3 crystallos essences and a some SoD group gear I scarfed from others kills(ie-it's rotting come get it.) The light PS is the best, IMO, for normal use.

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1333372
Douglasone

Server: Fennin Ro

Return to Equipment & Loot