[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Root/Rot Tips/Help

Root/Rot Tips/Help

General Discussion for the EverQuest Shaman.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

Root/Rot Tips/Help

Postby seattleslacker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:36 am

Just looking for some tips, links or advice on the best way to solo using the root/rot style.

I'm level 76 with roughly 400AA (mostly healing focused atm) and getting back into the game after a 3 year hiatus. I have been starting with the P/D debuff, then using VP to root the mob. I then cast my best 2 disease dots, best 2 poison dots, I quick mem my best 2 magic dots and rinse/repeat as needed. Ive been able to finish the mobs before the first VP wears off which is really nice, I Canni5 and I'm off to the next one. I get 15% an AA per kill (DSH Minos/Nymphs) which I think is nice.

Any advice, links, tips etc would be greatly appreciated. I wanna make sure I am being as effective as I can. Thanks in advance.
seattleslacker

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Re: Root/Rot Tips/Help

Postby Huurgh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:59 am

If you have a guild try to get into some classic missions. At lvl 80 with ~250 aa they gave me 8 AA/mission. If I have a good place (solo pulls) I use a dedicated spellset for root/rot, so I do not have to remem. I normally dont bother with disease, just using piling on poison and curse dots after debuffing MR too.
As it is researchable now try to get the nectar spell from Katta, its great.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert A. Heinlein
Huurgh

Server: Antonius Bayle

Magician Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Layya » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:31 am

I would also suggest utilizing potions. There are potions to extend dots by a tick and a mana preservation potions. The savings from those really add up over time.
Layya

Shaman Main

Postby fendaann » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:56 pm

you said "I then cast my best 2 disease dots, best 2 poison dots, I quick mem my best 2 magic dots and rinse/repeat as needed."

spell bar -only have 4 loaded for rotting. re-evualate you spells slots - can you add more Dots to it at this time.
The 2nd spells set for doting is it custom to stream line only load the dots you need to change.

Do you chart the damage of your spell dots and cast the higher damage ones 1st?
Evualte when your highest damage spell wore off and learn to re-fresh it before casting a lower less damage dot.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6053&p=83425&hilit=spell+set#p83425
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1996
http://samanna.net/sham.info/tips.shtml

Due you use a Mount when Dotting in DSH (Minos/Nymphs)? to get better reg/man reg.

You said "400AA (mostly healing focused atm)"
Are you working on AA's to help Root rotting now?
longer VP?
Dot crits
fendaann

Server: Quellious - POVAR

Wizard Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Scalia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:10 pm

I root/rotted Minos in DSH for a bit in my high 70s and I don't think I found Disease DOTs to be very efficient, so I stuck to poison and magic based DOTs, but perhaps I had more of them than you do at this point. I also found that Malo helped with DOT resists, so my killing process looked something like this:

1. Load a spell set with MD and Malo (whichever version I had at the time)
2. Pull with MD
3. Get the mob out of the way and park it with VP
4. Cast Malo
5. Cast a bunch of DOTs
6. Switch to another spellset with more DOTs
7. Cast the rest of the DOTs
8. Refresh DOTs as needed
9. Canni when Canni is up (regular or Canni5)
10. Once the mob dies, load the original spellset and repeat the cycle

I found it quite boring, but it worked, although there were occasional add issues at the fort. I wonder if doing Minos with a tank merc may be more fun since you have all those healing AAs? Still, it will likely be slower XP compared to rotting.
Tunare/E'ci: Scabon, 80 Shaman
Scalia

Server: Tunare (E'ci)

Shaman Main

Postby Layya » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Also you should get the malosenea (sp?) aa ability. It does have a 30 sec recast and 2min ish duration but I have never seen it resisted. That will at least save you a spell slot. Also what level of VP do you have? Did you get hastened vp yet?
Layya

Shaman Main

Postby Sordar-Cazic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:40 am

I recommend soloing in LP at that lvl. There are kill tasks given at a camp near worgs/orcs, and a orc kill task from fenden helter in DSH. You can also do the special delivery task from Fenden on the way through for a little extra. VP is a must, and i dont even bother debuffing disease resistance with it usually. It still never breaks. Malosinete AA is very useful to save mana.

My spell setup (and this is lvl 85 with max spell slots, so this won't quite work for you atm) is this:

1-HoT
2-canni
3-Blood of Jaled'dar
4-Nectar of Slith.
5-Nectar of Rancor
6-Mojo
7-Pocus
8-Highest level root, petrifying earth or whatever.
9-Blood of Kera.
10-Juju
11-Malosenea
12-Putrid decay, just because.

At 85 with the detrimental awareness potion and all DoT aas up through SoD, one round of DoTs kills the highest lvl mobs in LP down close to skellies. I load up one round, and pull the next mob, so i usually have 2 mobs in camp, one VPed, one rooted normally. Anyway, that's how i tend to do it. Glean from that what you will!
Sordar-Cazic

Shaman Main

Postby seattleslacker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 am

First off I want to extend a thank you to all of the posters that have left advice, tips and links. It has helped me tremendously in my quest to be a better Shaman.

As suggested by Huurgh I have obtained a few of the curse DoTs that I was missing, that has helped immensely. I have also been sticking with a single spell set which has noticeably increased my efficiency. I am currently using Juju, Pain, Agony, Sisslak and one other which I can’t remember.

To answer a few questions I have VP4 (unhastened), am currently working on my Alchemy to make the Extended Affliction and Mana Pres pots, and have since earned enough AA for Critical Affliction 5. I have been killing the Nymphs/Minos in DSH for the "daily" quests offered nearby. The exp is good but I am wondering if it would be better elsewhere. The drakes in Sunderock Springs were suggested so I am going to give those a try later. After that I will most likely give the Worg/Orcs a try in LP. I am currently sitting at around 13khp/mana self buffed.

Thanks again for all the great information,

Cheeb (Xegony)
seattleslacker

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Sordar-Cazic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 am

With worgs/orcs in LP, the first worgs you run into are the "rabid worgs," and they're around lvl 74-76. The orcs in that area are also around that lvl, too. As you lvl up more, you can move further back towards HoS zone, and the mobs go up to lvl 79 (vicious worgs, orcs with different names), so you can be getting good exp from that area for a while.
Sordar-Cazic

Shaman Main

Return to Heyokah's Lodge