[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - How important is the ogre racial?

How important is the ogre racial?

General Discussion for the EverQuest Shaman.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

How important is the ogre racial?

Postby Reiker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Basically, just what the topic says. How important is the ability to not being able to get stunned from the front? Are there any Barbarian/Troll/Iksar/Froglok/Vah Shir shaman out there that wish they would have rolled Ogre?

Also, I haven't played EQ in a few years, but I'm going to be playing a Shaman on the EQMac server soon. This server is stuck in 2002 PoP so, keep that in mind. I'm also considering a troll since they look cooler and get the snare neck, but I'm assuming that's just not as important as the Ogre bonus.

No "play whatever you want!" replies... what is more effective is more important to me than what I think looks cooler.
Reiker

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Re: How important is the ogre racial?

Postby Brohg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Nothing compares. Being an ogre is a big big deal in combat. It's especially relevant as a class that frequently has to depend on themselves for healing, and as one that occasionally draws agro just for doin' the job, not to even mention the whole realm of soloing. Outside of combat, vah shir Sneak is very convenient at times, but pretty irrelevant when shit hits the fan. Other races basically have nothing going for them.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Khauruk » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:09 am

Ogre Beastlord, not shaman here.

Being an ogre is very damn irritating with shrinking constantly (hallelujah for bst group shrink AA we have now). But, the stun immunity is so much awesomesauce is almost has no comparison. Yeah, sneak would be useful occasionally. Yeah, being smaller would be nice. But, being able to face 100 mobs simultaneously tonight as I was PLing, and just mow them down is friggin' amazing.

Much of it for shaman will depend on how you actually intend to play. Are you going to be an in your face shammy? Or root/rotter? If a combat shammy, the ogre thing will be nice as all get out.

The snare neck would be very nice. The regen on Iksar/Troll in PoP era was very nice as well (since regen mods harder to get by far then). I honestly don't know which I would choose. But, almost every day I'm thankful I made a huge ugly ogre.
Khauruk

Server: Luclin

Postby Reiker » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:55 am

I prefer the "in your face tank style." I was sort of saddened when PoP came out and I started root rotting PoFire tables / revamped Splitpaw elementals (this was the last Progression server so those things came out at the same time). I'm going to be either returning for the 2nd progression server, or if they don't make it or they make it wrong, I'm going to be playing on the EQMac server. I miss EQ too much right now but I don't want to play it in its current state.

I've always played barbarian mostly because I prefer to be "the good guy", but I'm super sick of that.
Reiker

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:38 pm

I wish I had started Veril as an Ogre. I chose barbarian for looks, had I relaised how powerful stun resistance was I would have chosen ogre, but now at 3000aa, it's simply not worth changing.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Reiker » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Alright, definitely rolling an Ogre for prog 2.0 or eqman then.

Like I said I've always rolled barbarians and last prog when I took the game seriously and became the sever's top shaman, I always wished I had played an Ogre, but figured it was probably not that big of a deal and a case of the grass is greenerism. Guess I won't always be second-guessing my character this time, even if I do dislike the look of Ogres.
Reiker

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:34 pm

The look? Nobody looks like anything these days, we're all freakin' werewolves. I wish I looked like an ogre.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Kriyn Nutzforcatnip » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:55 pm

It's hard for me to believe that there is a large amount of shaman at 85 that are tanking mobs for xp that the ogre benefit would really add any extra bonus. This would be nice at lower lvls when tanking for xp is obviously easier, but at higher lvls it isn't that much of an advantage to tank in the face as apposed to root rotting. I play a Vah Shir and have always liked the safe fall and sneak function so I can buy/sell from vendors with bad faction. It also helps when moving behind mobs, but it's not used commonly for that. The decision of re-rolling to an ogre when you are already max lvl should only be if you want to look like an ogre. The extra benefit of immune to frontal stuns isn't that big of an issue.

Edit: Just re-read the original post. Since the server is capped at PoP playing an ogre wouldn't be too bad. I was refereing to the live servers today so that's why I was questioning the thought of re-rolling to an ogre.
I'm ok, how are you?

Rodcet Nife (Quellious)
Kriyn Nutzforcatnip

Shaman Main
Rogue - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Khauruk » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Khauruk

Server: Luclin

Postby Retron » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:01 am

Retron

Server: Antonius Bayle (ex-VS)

Shaman Main
Beastlord - Alt/Box

Postby Yesak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:05 am

I use the wood elf illusion from way back in the day. I wish that we could turn off the illusion while still getting the boost. Not that I particularly want to look like a troll again but the WW is so damn annoying when we ALL look the same :P

at 85 i rarely am tanking mobs but i could see where the no stun would be incredibly useful. As a troll, there's nothing for me because the snare necklace is innorruk only i believe and i chose Cazic WAY back in the day. So if you go troll for snare, just be careful on that. My picks would be ogre, troll, then vah shir. I see no reason to be iksar, frog or barb but that's just me :twisted:
"Sometimes you have to face your demons, sometimes the demon is you." - Yesak Demunstorm
Yesak

Server: Prexus

Shaman Main

Postby Brohg » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:12 am

I don't even want the boost from Pact all that much, I just feel compelled to use it because it's there. The first version was no boost and I was very happy not to have it. Should have stayed that way.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:18 am

If Ogre illusion gave the stun immunity I would live in it full time while xp/raiding.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Retron » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:17 am

Retron

Shaman Main
Beastlord - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Retron » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:35 am

Retron

Shaman Main
Beastlord - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:08 am

"What happened" is clearly explained. That's not my question; my question is "why?"
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:37 am

Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Kriyn Nutzforcatnip » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 am

More hp = more mana from canni in theory so that may explain why we got hp from an illusion aa. That's one answer to why.
Kriyn Nutzforcatnip

Shaman Main
Rogue - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Retron » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:25 pm

Retron

Shaman Main
Beastlord - Alt/Box

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:59 pm

Ride free brother.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Maroc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:29 pm

I use WW illustion then hit another illusion clicky. Iksar to ride mounts, Minotaur for attack increase, Ice Golem for DS...etc. Since they stack, I don't have to look like the WW all the time. Drawback is that it takes an additional buff spot.

Maroc
Maroc

Shaman Main

Postby Brohg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:40 am

Race potioning to your own race will not make you look like you, btw. You get the official illusion-face.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:16 am

Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main