[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Shammy/SK combo

Shammy/SK combo

General Discussion for the EverQuest Shaman.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

Shammy/SK combo

Postby riverwindd » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:54 pm

Hello... my shammy is old time.. i just suscribed for a new account.. was thinking of a class that i can duo with. Do you guys think Shammy and SK makes a good duo?

Any suggestions or commetns would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!
riverwindd

Shaman Main
Druid - Alt/Box

Re: Shammy/SK combo

Postby WaringMcMarrin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:04 pm

Thats good got a tank/puller with that

WaringMcMarrin

Veteran -

Server: The Tribunal(Ayonae Ro)

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby riverwindd » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Hehehe.. i hope it will be fun that way :) I've always like a class that can tank and also cast spells... hehe.
riverwindd

Shaman Main
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby anaskesia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:58 am

Shaman/SK will work well, but the DPS from the SK will be.... well, amazingly bad. The SK is good at holding agro, and acceptable-but-slow at pulling.

I prefer shaman/bard myself. The bard is extremey good at pulliung, and has songs that make the shaman more effective at root rotting. Its generally safer, too, espeically in really hard duo spots like steam factory. The disadvantage to this is that you can't deal with summoning content. If that matters to you, then shaman/sk is the next best choice.
| (PUBLIC RAID FORCE)
anaskesia

Server: Tunare

Shaman Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Funi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:04 am

You could also consider a Monk. You'd be amazed at the Monks tanking abilities and they add pulling and dps to the mix as well as other cool utilities.
Funi

Shaman Main

Postby Shlath » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 am

Shlath

Cleric Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby Methica » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:58 am

I've really been enjoying my Ranger / Shaman duo. Basically stick to outdoor zones and I can pull and tank just fine. He does enough DPS and holds agro well enough while virtually afk. I just tab back in for a couple nukes and then spend most of the time on my shaman. Ranger tanking falls short of the SK but is about on par with monk. It gets the job done and makes up for what it lacks in mitigation with DPS.

Really it's mostly going to be a flavor choice. Any physical damage class is going to be a good match simply because the shaman class is best suited for that support role. Your choices come down to utility vs. stability. Boiled down even further: The slow and steady is always good, but is........... well slow. Yet, the quick and dirty is often risky. Your choice.
Methica

Shaman Main
Ranger - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 pm

Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Naluken » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 pm

I like my SK / SHM combo a lot, but like any duo team, you will have limitations. I like the tanking ability, with the FD pulling, snare, DoT's, good agro control, and taps when it gets ugly. Downside is poor DPS.

Naluken

Shadowknight Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby WaringMcMarrin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:38 pm

WaringMcMarrin

Veteran -

Server: The Tribunal(Ayonae Ro)

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Opfor » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Few pointers, 78 SK pet, use DS pots, Duo with a 2H weapon, 2.0 is a very solid and easy to accquire choice, (Crys DMG aug, + LDoN/Tunat/DK/AG aug).

Mainly dependant on the SK weapon, and AC (hard to tank with a 2h and low ac). My SK can pretty easily pull 1k-1200dps with Shammy duo, that is with raid gear and MMM lvl 2h, you're mileage will vary.
The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry
Opfor

Shadowknight Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby riverwindd » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks for the input. Not sure if i have enough pp to twink my beefy sk or not... but well just some fun of the game :) I have friend that plays a druid and a bard, both also past level 70. And i've got another warrior thats working her way up to 70 also.

So creating another SK is like erm.... some fun, hehehe. I have recommendation for monk also... i tossed a coin and i have an ogre sk. Now my barb shammy feels so small :P
riverwindd

Shaman Main
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Tunkal » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:20 pm

shaman / sk combo is probley the best choice for boxing atleast... monks are good but they arent a plate class and only good for singles, sk's have more then enough dps with their pet hitting for 249..self heal taps and their own weapon basically making them better dps then any other tank in the game (unless its undead) not to mention their self heals give the shaman more room to cast their dps... then again any combo is as good as you make it and your play style

another thing with the sk/shaman combo you get extra DPS from cougar from the shadowknights pet which procs alot, you dont get that with any other tank-able class (maybe a beastlord?)
Tunkal

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby zantocon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:17 pm

I like shammy /sk for the plate factor, but I don't play them anymore just becuase of dps. My monk is much more fun, putting out around 1200-1500 dps and tanking just fine. He can handle nameds in Ship and has even tanked a Squire in Crystallos, though it wasn't pretty. As for being only good for one add, he doesn't have multiple aggro capabilities where yes the SK is going to shine there. He can however tank them just fine in any zone you're probably gonna be duoing in. I've had my monk tank multiple mobs in FC, AG and even SHIP. No he doesn't tank anywhere near my sk, however he can indeed burn them down much faster with speedfocus and crystalpalm and be down to one mob. That and as a shaman VP/root clicky shield allow you to CC the extra mob anyway in most cases, or tank for that matter. With 22k group buffed hp, and 3k ac my shaman can tank in most duo zones just fine.

zantocon

Server: The Rathe

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Tunkal » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:02 pm

true but then again theres a difference between people who are in raiding guilds and people who arent.. of course raiding guild chars with over 20k hp and the AC you get from raid gear can tank anything in duo zones...zerkers rangers rogues.. all of them could "tank" really but for the average player with average bazaar gear Shad/Shaman would be a better combo due plate and even spells given which makes them a real tank

basically.. it comes down to if you are in a raiding guild or have really good gear, and if you plan on duoing or grouping but what is true regardless of the dps a Shaman/Shadowknight will live and can do much more then Shaman / any class with even gear
Tunkal

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Zorbee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:11 am

If you pick a knight, you will be giving up one utility for the other. DPS is strong with warriors, weak with knights. Knights have some secondary utility, and warrior do as well, but different kinds mostly revolving around Defense and Offense.

If you are duoing ONLY then a slow DPSing knight may be more practical depending on your DPS style. But if you are looking to min/max, you may group occassionally and want to get experience much faster, then a Warrior is a much better choice.

I play a paladin + shaman combo and while I do ok DPS (since I have almost 900 AA on the paladin) a warrior of equal gear/AA would wtfpwn me. As a paladin my utility doesn't stack that well with the shaman except for DPS on undead. Undead are a trivial part of this game however, it would be nicer to have a well rounded tank sometimes. (The paladin's utility being heals, root and rez. All of which the shaman does - and for the most part does better.)

Shadowknight's utility revolves around pulling and snaring (with some self healing abilities as well although once again, the shaman will do this better.)

A shaman's CC ability is better than either of those classes when efficiency and time is considered, so going with a Warrior who has vastly superior DPS and survivability is the better choice as long as you have the patience to level one up.
Avenger Zorbee Bunny'Slayer - Destroyer of Helpless Bunnies ~
Deos Fortioribus Adesse! ~ The gods are on the side of the stronger
Zorbee

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:47 am

Shaman/Pally is a great combo. almost no overlap.
Pally brings great tanking, Buffs that all stack with shaman ones, rezz, is a panther and champion target, fast casting root, stuns and fast heals that perfectly complement the shamans slow but efficient heals.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Jarcey Heyokah » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Sig sez it all... sk/shm combo ftw!!
Jarcey
85th Season SHM

Dethsangel Beckons
85th Season SHD

Rheece
80th Season MAG

Yeah I 3box... /shrug

Stop Canni Time....

May the Great Spirit bless you, your home,
and those you love with peace and happiness.
Jarcey Heyokah

Server: The Nameless

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby zantocon » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:02 am

I agree with Zorbee on this one, even though I have done the shaman/monk for a very long time. I'm leaning more towards shaman/warrior now. Since the warrior can handle two or three mobs without a lot of healing in most exp zones, and then can tank in places like crystallos. Also when I do get a group with both, I know I have a solid tank.

Advantages:

shaman/sk - Ability to solo pull with fd and snare, ae aggro spells so with adds you don't have to worry about shaman being beat on, easy aggro control, lifetap procs to help with healing, a plate tank so you can do more trophy kills.

shaman/monk - High dps. Very easy to solo pull. A low duration snare for runners (aa based). Good avoidance, so tanks rather well. Master's aura prevents enrage so you don't have to worry about your box or your pup dieing when you forget to turn off attack on enrage. Ability to memblur mez, so when all crap hits the fan they can Imitate Death, and then blur the crowd.

shaman/warrior - Decent dps. Very stout plate tank, best of the bunch. Less healing necessary on singles, and can really handle multiples well. High aggro with their bazu/sneer/incite lines. Can tank any zone (sks can too but anyone whose healed both knows a war tanks better on high end content, not impossible for an sk to tank, just not as easy, look up DI on thesteelwarrior.org) for more info.

shaman/pal - Once again a good solid plate tank. Good stackable buffs, including low level cleric lines like conviction, virtue etc. BBB all of which stack with your shamans buffs. Can root and help out with crowd control on multiples. Can stun most exp mobs (though yellows can give them problems), making damage incoming a little less. Can heal themselves to help alleviate some of the healing from the shaman. Very high dps versus undead.

shaman/ranger - High dps again. Easy to solo pull outdoors. Attack buffs, and hp buff that stacks with shaman buffs. AC/damage shield buffs. Snare. Nukes (never understimate the power of Arc of Arrows + headshot in a light blue zone)

shaman/zerker - High dps. Stuns (not sure to what level, not done a lot with zerkers). Snare. Can tank decently with very good gear, but no where near the other tanks.

shaman/beastlord - High dps. Extra puma proc. SE buff for extra mana regen on both toons. Heals to back up the shaman. Backup slows, dots, snare proc for pet. Two tanks in one.

shaman/mage - Lots of dps. Damage shields. Puma proc plus a nuker in one. Mage pets can tank almost anything if you pay attention to them. Mages also get a nifty mem blur pet for bad pulls.

Disadvantages -

shaman/sk - low dps. Can make up for it with instant nukes/dots and a pet for puma procs, but its still not up there with a monk/mage etc.

shaman/warrior - No single pull capabilities.

shaman/paladin - low dps(except vs undead). No single pull capabilities (once above the lull cap).

shaman/monk - cannot tank in the higher end zones without exceptional gear or several healers

shaman/beastlord - many of the spells that beastlords have shamans already have. no single pull ability

shaman/ranger - can only single pull outdoors. Needs high end gear to tank in bigger zones (crystallos etc)

shaman/zerker - not able to tank in harder content (ship, zeka, crystallos though i've seen a couple who can with a healer on their toes.) no single pull capabilities

shaman/mage - very difficult to single pull (using mem blur pet it's possible).

There are many other combos, a shaman can duo with any class and do pretty well. The only ones that are a little more difficult are wizards and such, as they break our root if we are dotting. I find when I duo with my wifes wizard, I tend to dot 4 or 5 dots, and then let her break root and pretend I'm a necro.
zantocon

Server: The Rathe

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Funi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:16 am

Funi

Shaman Main

Postby Frogbait » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:33 pm

So what is this so called root clicky shield ?
Frogbait

Server: Maelin Starpyre

Shaman Main

Postby Brohg » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 pm

Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Return to Heyokah's Lodge