[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Dots and mana efficiency

Dots and mana efficiency

General Discussion for the EverQuest Shaman.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

Dots and mana efficiency

Postby Vigdis » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:52 am

Vigdis

Server: Formerly Vallon Zek, now known as Vigdisdottir on Antonius

Shaman Main

Postby m970456 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:12 am

m970456

Postby Vigdis » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:29 am

Vigdis

Shaman Main

Postby Retron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:27 am

Soloing for me is constrained by the fact I can't tank the 1400-hitters that give decent exp. (Well, I can, but it sucks up so much mana it's not worth doing). As such, I'm constrained by the duration of root - I use Virulent Paralysis pretty much exclusively due to its disease resist check. Thus, my soloing life is governed by 2-minute chunks!

In places such as Icefall and Atiiki, two minutes is enough to dispatch most mobs with just 5 DoTs running: Juju, Curse, Vengeance and two Nectars (Pain and Agony). The nice thing is that it's perfectly sustainable, if you keep busy with canni and tribute affliction efficiency 6 (up to 25% mana pres).

Using this method means you'll get 3-and-a-bit AAs for a half hour Lesson burn in Atiiki, or around 18% regular exp at level 75. I daresay you could bump that up a notch by using more DoTs and a different root, but to me it's just not worth the effort.
Retron

Server: Antonius Bayle (ex-VS)

Shaman Main
Beastlord - Alt/Box

Postby Macnair » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:38 am

Soloing mobs in Buried Sea for the Jonas hand augment: I have three spell slots dedicated to dots, and a couple of hotkeys to mem spellsets into those three slots.

Sitting on horse. Pull the mob with malicious decay, punt it with VP. Malis. Cast three poison dots. Hit "mem disease" hotkey. Cast three disease dots. Hit "mem poison" hotkey. AA cannibalize. Click epic. Refresh three poison dots. If I had a little better poison focus, mobs would be dead before VP wears off; as it is, they are usually around 10%. Cast root (saving VP for next pull). Mobs usually die before last dot wears off; maybe 1 time in 10 need to cast one more dot.

This is very mana efficient. In certain circumstances 7 or 8 rapid pulls can bring me down to maybe 40% mana, and then I take a moment to allow ooc mana regen to kick in. But usually even the brief moments it takes, maneuvering for the next pull, will be sufficient to get back close to full mana.

Macnair

Server: Vazaelle (Maelin Starshine)

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:11 am

3 poison dots, 3 curse dots. Root from clicky pants. Never mem disease
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Zyrek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:50 am

Zyrek

Server: The Seventh Hammer

Shaman Main

Postby Eirgorn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:55 am

Last edited by Eirgorn on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes.... I like GRRMartin and Im not too creative =D
Eirgorn

Server: Bristlebane

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Vigdis » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:08 am

Vigdis

Shaman Main

Postby Galelor » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:11 am

Galelor

Veteran -

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Sowslow » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:50 am

Sowslow

Server: The Rathe -> Quellious -> Povar

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Vigdis » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:38 am

Vigdis

Shaman Main

Postby Eirgorn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am

Well to be honest I havent really tried to optimize my RootRot spell lineup till this morning, and after being a nerd for a few minutes in Excel, I think I can boost my DPS siginificantly without much of a mana cost increase (just cast Bane one more time). I'll try out the new rotation tonight and see if I have noticable improvements.

I picked the following fight to use as a basis of damage (since it varies from fight to fight due to focus effects - I did pick one of my higher DPS fights)

Note: On occasion DoTs are lasting an extra tick (18 ticks worth of Juju on 3 casts, when its duration is 5 ticks for example) I put it in my spread sheet this way due to the fact this happens ALOT.

Now here is a visual breakdown of the fight with the cast order I used:

You can see my obvious errors (which Ive thought about before, but never bothered to change):

1) I should start with my highest DPS DoTs, unless that will cause a problem in the chain later
2) There are gaps where Yoppa and Bane arent running

Here is my new proposed lineup (still not the best, but markedly better)

Looks like I may be able to shorten my fight duration with the higher DPS, I'll try this out tonight and let you all know how it goes.[/list]
Eirgorn

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Tordail » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:06 pm

I pull with Putrid Decay and load up Poison and Magic DoTs (Juju 2, Vengeance 2, Sisslak, Nectar, Yoppa). I haven't memmed a Disease DoT in forever and half a day.
~
Tordail

Veteran -

Server: Luclin

Shaman Main

Postby Eirgorn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:15 pm

I only use Breath of Tern because over the whole fight it does about the same damage as two Yoppas (very mana efficient).

530m for one BoTern (6000 damage)
1316m for two Yoppa (6700 damage)

^^ at least with my aa/focus

EDIT - plus you only use half the cast/recast time
Eirgorn

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby gaesekki » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:25 am

gaesekki

Server: Prexus

Postby Sasqwatch » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:39 am

Sasqwatch

Postby Hulfdane » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:58 pm

Hulfdane
Shaman of Firestormers
Hulfdane

Server: Povar

Shaman Main

Postby Dakota » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:25 am

I have the DoTting spell set that I use when soloing, and I have a second one that I break out if I feel like it.
The first one has :
spell
spell
spell
spell
Juju
Curse of Sisslak
Nectar of Agony
Nectar of Pain
spell

The second one has:
spell
spell
spell
spell
Breath of Ternsmochin
Breath of Wunshi
Vengeance of Ahnkaul
Blood of Yoppa
spell

Typically I only use the first one. If I'm that hard up about doing as much damage as I can, I'll use the second one first. Soon as I land the fourth DoT, I'll immediately mem the first spell set, replacing only those four spells. Soon as I stand up from memming them, the first DoT is ungreyed and ready to go, and I'll stack those on. Don't worry about the two disease and the two lesser poison DoTs from that point on, and refresh the main ones as needed.
Fairly quick and easy to do, and if I'm dealing with mobs with a lot of HPs, those extra DoTs can mean the difference between having to refresh the main set two times or three times, and save me some mana.
Dakota

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Return to Heyokah's Lodge