[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Death of grammar

Death of grammar

General Discussion for the EverQuest Shaman.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

Death of grammar

Postby KB » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:24 pm

KB

Server: Nameless/Inny

Postby Ziro » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:40 pm

CHOPPER!!!....SICK BALLS!!
Ziro

Postby Urguralk » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:52 pm

Urguralk

Server: Test Server

Postby Galelor » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:52 pm

Galelor

Veteran -

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Tarnnok » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:47 pm

Tarnok Felspear
Ogre Warpriest of Rallos Zek

- I'm an Ogre, damnit! This is as good as my post gets!
Tarnnok

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Samanna » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:47 pm

Samanna

Veteran -----

Server: Prexus

Shaman Main

Postby ThraallFV » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:48 pm

Thraall
Firiona Vie
ThraallFV

Server: Firiona Vie

Shaman Main

Postby Samanna » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:53 pm

ps:

Samanna

Veteran -----

Shaman Main

Postby Urguralk » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:55 pm

Urguralk

Server: Test Server

Postby Naagruz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 pm

My personal favorite is guild apps.

I just hope their resume does not resemble the app they sent in and wish them the best.
Naagruz, Retired Frikkin Troll Shaman of Xegony
<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=449978">Doing less with more mana since 99'
Naagruz

Postby Jaraman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:05 am

My high school English teacher once told me that people judge you by the way you speak and by your vocabulary. Your use or misuse of English both in spoken and written form present to others how well educated you are and how lazy you are. I don't know if the general US population education level is dropping horribly, or if it's just that illiteracy now has a forum, a pulpit, to spread itself. Perhaps both.

It's really sad that a Swede or a German or an Aussie can write better English than our local, vulgar population.

The best solution is not either/or, but best-of.
Jaraman

Veteran -

Server: The Rathe

Postby Samanna » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 am

Samanna

Veteran -----

Shaman Main

Postby KB » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:22 am

KB

Server: Nameless/Inny

Postby Ungkor » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:52 am

Ungkor

Postby Scowls » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:35 am

Scowls

Veteran -

Server: Prexus (TerrisThule)

Postby Cronikk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:52 am

But it's not just forums, is it? I see a lot of job apps in real life and the standard - especially among younger, college-spewed kids - makes me despair sometimes. As a rule of thumb, anyone who mis-spells 'professional' on a job app gets round-filed immediately.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with spelling / grammar bloopers on forum posts. As was noted previously, these are fun, not work. There's a current flame thread on my server board in which one of the main attractions is trying to decipher the mind-manglingly spectacular abuse of conventional language displayed by the OP. :shock:
Cronikk

Server: The Magnificent 7th

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:45 am

Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Galelor » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:56 am

Galelor

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Shiuna » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:39 am

Shiuna
Barbarian Shaman of 80 seasons (but looks 10 seasons younger)
"Sometimes, when I cast Cazic Touch II on npcs, I crit for 1.25 Million." - Nodyin (EQ dev)
Shiuna

Server: Tunare

Postby Yesak » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:30 am

I'll admit straight away that I cannot spell. If I didnt have my spell checker for my work, I wouldnt be in college or working for the newspaper here. I've never been good at it and with the advent of computer spell check, there hasnt been alot of initiative to learn.

However, on forums I feel that I can get at least a little lazy. I tend to only have a few minutes to write a post, so I leave off some punctuations in my rush. The one thing that annoys me is the lack of paragraphs some people have. Separate your ideas so I can understand and follow your line of thought. It is very hard to follow if you seem to put everything in one paragraph.

I'm not English major, but I have a deep love for philosophy and expressing your ideas in an argument that makes sense. I dont really care if you know you're right in an argument if you cant convince me through your writing. Here on these forums, lots of arguments are being made and some are downright horrible. It is not because your ideas are bad, but the presentation of them is not enough to convince readers. Learn to argue and speak your mind well and you might be suprised at how many arguments you can win. 8)
"Sometimes you have to face your demons, sometimes the demon is you." - Yesak Demunstorm
Yesak

Shaman Main

Postby Felstaff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:59 am

Felstaff

Magician Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Shaman - Alt/Box

Re: Death of grammar

Postby Keltsete » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Keltsete

Postby Bulce » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Bulce

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby XeroOmega » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:41 pm

Guardians of the Keep
Drinal
XeroOmega

Server: Drinal

Shaman Main

Postby Kneesmasher » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:42 pm

Kneesmasher

Postby Unmei » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Fenier » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Fenier

Server: Cazic-Thule

Druid Main
Paladin - Alt/Box

Postby Kamion » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Kamion

Warrior Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Irony

Postby SlopoxMS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Last edited by SlopoxMS on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlopoxMS

Postby Fenier » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:41 pm

It's roughly the difference from typing:

Dude, our freaking spells are so screwed up, I mean seriously, wth, Devs are stupid.

To:

I feel our spells are not properly balanced. I have come to this conclusion due to the following factors.

Because, in the second sentence, you are able to prove your viewpoint, and it is written in a clear, concise manner, and does not resort to personal attacks.

If more posters wrote like the second one, than the first - I would be you the Devs would be more apt to listen to ideas.

EDIT: Maine Upbringing > Me
Last edited by Fenier on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fenier

Server: Cazic-Thule

Druid Main
Paladin - Alt/Box

joke?

Postby SlopoxMS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:52 pm

I have to assume this post was a joke.

Its roughly -> It's roughly
differance -> difference
sentance -> sentence
consise -> concise
then the first -> than the first

I have no idea what you were trying to prove. Sarcasm? Ignorance? A poor attempt at humor?
SlopoxMS

Postby Felstaff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:37 pm

Felstaff

Magician Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Ziro » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:53 pm

Ziro

Postby Scowls » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Scowls

Veteran -

Server: Prexus (TerrisThule)

Postby Felstaff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Felstaff

Magician Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Shaman - Alt/Box

Re: Death of grammar

Postby Bethiana » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:14 pm

Last edited by Bethiana on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bethiana

Server: Lightbringer

Postby Felstaff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm

Felstaff

Magician Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Galelor » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:22 pm

Galelor

Veteran -

Shaman Main