Complete Armor of Ro Guide (Stefanvonwestern, 8/11/00)

Timeless Saves - Herein is stored lore, tips, and sage advice for the Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Complete Armor of Ro Guide (Stefanvonwestern, 8/11/00)

Postby Valya Wanderfoot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:19 pm

stefanvonwesten
(8/11/00 3:30 pm)

Complete Armor of Ro Guide (very long) I decided to put this information about the Armor of Ro pieces on this forum because I see many questions come up about Armor of Ro particular about how to fix faction. I hope that the moderator of the board would please place this information in the Tomes section of the Paladins of Norrath forum.

I cannot take credit for most of this information. A great majority of the information was posted earlier by Wildantor and I have added some of my own personal observations. I have seen other guides to Armor of Ro and they do have good information but the information that Wildantor provided included information about factions.

FAQ:

1. What is Armor of Ro:

Armor of Ro consists of eight different pieces of Paladin only Armor. The pieces included are breastplate, boots, greeves, gauntlets, helm, vambraces and bracers (2 of them). Armor of Ro is overall the best armor for a Paladin pre level 50. There are some pieces of armor that are better than Ro but nothing beats the look of a full set of Ro (shiny silver). The requirement to make each piece is one bar of ronium and the mold of the armor piece.

2. When should you start doing Armor of Ro quests:

My opinion is that a Paladin can start once he is level 20 and start working on faction. There are many factions a Paladin has to fix in order to get ingredients for ronium and to get the molds for the Armor of Ro pieces.

3. Can I buy Armor of Ro:

Yes you can. Armor of Ro is not Lore or No Drop so it can be sold. Usually Armor of Ro that is up for sell is from higher level Paladins who have acquire better Paladin armor such as Deep Water and/or Valorium.

4. Should I quest for Armor of Ro or buy it:

This is up to the individual Paladin. It is my personal belief that the quest for Armor of Ro is the hardest quest in the game. You have to fix faction, gather ingredients for ronium and find quest items for each individual armor mold. On top of that, two of the items to get ronium is Lore so you cannot have more than one at a time. With this in mind, I do not blame anyone who wants to go and buy Armor of Ro. I have on occasion almost bought some pieces but for me personally, I get great personal satisfaction getting the Armor of Ro pieces by doing the quest.

Step One: Ronium

Each piece of Armor of Ro requires one bar of ronium. If you want all eight pieces of Armor of Ro, you will need eight bars of ronium. To make a bar of ronium, you need the following:

Cauldron of Ro (to combined the ingredients)
1 Sands of Ro
1 Soil of Underfoot
1 Mistmoore Granite
1 Bar of Melitate
2 Bars of Enchanted Platinum

A: Cauldron of Ro: Lore No Drop

You must talk to Lord Seafire in the Temple of Ro. Temple of Ro is located in the Lavastorm Mountains with the entrance on the north side of the huge crater full of lava. Lord Seafire will be on the left side of the temple on the top floor.

Say to him: “What about Ronium?”

He will tell you a little bit… and ask you if you wish a bar of the alloy.

Say to him: “I wish a bar of the alloy”

If you have good enough faction, you will receive the Cauldron of Ro. This item is Lore so you will have to make a trip to the temple for each bar of ronium you want to make.

Temple of Ro Faction:

1. Kill Shadowmen (this is a slow way… and dangerous as the shadows are tough to fight as usually they come in swarms below level 36 or so)
2. Go to South Ro Desert and in the North West corner there is an Erudite in a small tent usually with a named Orc standing out front. The Orc will not attack you so walk to the Erudite and give him 3pp at a time and you will receive an item in return (usually you can sell back to the Erudite) plus gain faction with the Temple of Ro. It will take you around 40 – 50pp to get amiable to him…that should be enough to get the container from Lord Seafire. (This is what I did). Note: the Erudite is a merchant for good races in South Ro.

B: Sands of Ro:

These come from Sand Giants in Oasis and South Ro Desert. A group of level 30 should be able to handle them. Actually, if you snare, drag it around and beat on it in the back… 2 people at about level 30 can take them. Otherwise… ooc for them… if there are any SG hunters that don’t need the stuff themselves they might give it to you… or charge you a small amount. It is NON a SUPER-RARE item…it is a little rare… but not terrible. You can have as many Sands of Ro you want.

Note: I got mine from asking for it while in Oasis and South Ro. I got four Sands of Ro from people who gave them to me and another four from helping kill Sand Giants in a group.

C: Soil of Underfoot: Lore No Drop

You get Soil of Underfoot from the head priestess of Clerics of Underfoot. If you have a high enough faction with the Clerics of Underfoot, the priestess will ask you to give her four Fairy Dusts and in return you will get the Soil of Underfoot. When giving the Fairy Dust, be sure to place one Fairy Dust in each give box. DO NOT STACK the Fairy Dust.

You will find Fairy Dust from the Fairies in the Fairy Village located in Lesser Faydark. My advice is to kill the Fairies on the outskirts of the village if you plan on doing this solo. If you get too close, a mechanical Gnome named Gearheart (the Fairy protector) will come and attack you. Course, if you have a group, Gearheart will not be a problem. Be sure to root the Fairies because any runners will bring Fairy Guards and they also will be healed by other Fairies and return.

Fairy Dust is stackable and droppable so get as many as you can. You will need 32 Fairy Dusts for eight bars of ronium.

Clerics of Underfoot Faction:

You can increase your faction by giving four bone chips at a time to a Paladin whose last name is Jure. DO NOT STACK the bone chips. He is located in the Paladin guild of Kaladim (near the Clerics of Underfoot). You will have to turn in at least 200 – 300 bone chips to Jure to become warmly to him. Becoming warmly to Jure will solve two problems. One it will fix the faction with the Clerics of Underfoot and it will also allow you to get the mold for the Boots of Ro from the Paladin who has it.

You can get lots of bone chips by going to Grimrot’s little place in South Kar and killing the skeletons there. Also at Grimrot’s place is a dwarvish skeleton. He drops Dwarven Bones. Jure will give you a quest to find his brother after you give him enough regular bone chips. These Dwarven Bones are his brothers and are a big faction boost.

My advice is to buy stacks of bone chips from newbies. I paid 3pp for each stack and I got more bone chips faster and the newbies liked the money. Successful places I got bone chips from were in Butcher Block, Nek Forest, Befallen and East Commons.

D: Mistmoore Granite: No Drop

Mistmoore granite is THE toughest ingredient to get for making ronium. They come off gargoyles but only certain types. There are Sneering, Jeering, Leering and Floating gargoyles. Sneering in my experience have never dropped granite. There are 3 places to look for gargoyles that drop granite

1. In the “Canyon” by Enyti there are 2 gargoyles by her. Most of the time it is Sneering Gargoyles but occasionally Jeering Gargoyles will show up. The Jeering Gargoyles are the only ones here that have a chance of dropping any granite. The plus side is that of all the places to get granite, this is the safest place to go but can be a very long wait for Jeering Gargoyles to show up.

2. Past the Secret Room (SR), inside a little bit from the Tower, there are 2 gargoyles there (you turn left at the top of the stairs past the SR and its through the torture room…so you’ll have to clear first)…this is near the Spa room where Xicotl the troll SK spawns (he has the hilt for Soulfire). If you go down the set of stairs from where those 2 gargoyles (instead of turning left and passing through the fake wall to the spa). There are 2 more gargoyles there and also another spawn (dark elf caster or melee types). Clear out this room. And then you can work 6 gargoyle spawns. The 2 up the stairs, 2 in that room and down yet another set of stairs are 2 more gargoyles and an occasional hallway roamer. So far this is the best place I have seen to get granite because you are working 6 gargoyle spawns. If you have a good group, you don’t even need to be invis to get there… just fight your way in. Be careful that Xicotl isn’t up…and don’t go near the spa if so…as pulling him is dangerous if you are not prepared. (Mid 30’s group should have little trouble with it).

3. Another good place (both easy each to break and has dropped well for me before) is in the servants rooms near the Kitchen. A group of level 32-36’s can invis their way in there and take the kitchen and both of the servant rooms with little difficulty…hardest part is invising your way past everything else. Make sure the person who is invising/camoing has practiced their DIV skill. There is 1 gargoyle in each of the servants quarters. The Butler room is the safest to pull to because you will have no runners and you will only get the two spawns in there. It is better I’ve found to go in and break the kitchen…before you start pulling. As a double harm touch from the Cooks can be a real killer if you pull them.

E: Melatite

You get this from killing Clockworks in Sol A. Models that drop melitate are ones that have a model number that ends in C or B. Some known models to drop melitate are MC, XB, XC and CC. Melitate is a some what rare drop but in my experience, if you camp where the EXG model spawns (near the castle where Gabbie spawns), your chances of getting melitate are good. Each time I have camped this area with a good group of mid 30’s, I always walked away with 3 or 4 pieces of melitate in an evenings work. Killing Clockworks does ruin your faction with the Gnomes in Akanon but killing Kobolds in Sol B fixes this but not for the merchants of Akanon. I have been told that turning in Gearhearts box (from the Fairy Village) to Bartox in Akanon will improve your faction with the merchants of Akanon.

F: 2 Bars of Enchanted Platinum

You need to get these from an higher than level 34 enchanter. Some really nice people do this for free. Others charge you high mark-ups. The sad thing about this to me is I can’t always find a level 34+ enchanter around so I end up having to camp a player as well. The cheapest you can buy regular Platinum Bars from a merchant is 105pp. Hopefully you find enchanters that will do the enchantment for free. But 20pp is not unheard of charge. Anymore than that and I refuse (Although having an enchanter in your guild makes it nice as well).

You place all the ingredients (1 Sands of Ro, 1 Mistmoore granite, 1 Soil of Underfoot, 1 Melitate bar and 2 Enchanted Platinum bars) into the Cauldron of Ro and press the COMBINE button. You should now have one bar or ronium.

Step Two: Making Armor of Ro pieces

To make Armor of Ro armor you need two things: 1 bar of ronium and a mold of the piece of armor you are making. You go to any forge and place the bar of ronium and the mold into it. DO NOT USE WATER. Click the COMBINE button and you should have your Armor of Ro piece. It is said that NO smiting skill is require but I have my skill at around 25 and I had no problem making the armor.

The molds available are for Boots, Gauntlets, Bracers, Breastplate, Helm, Greeves and Vambraces. You get these molds from the Paladins at the Paladin camp in the Rathe Mountains. A different Paladin at the camp will give you a mold only if you pass his/her test.

A: Boots of Ro mold:

Find a dwarvish Paladin named Nicolas. Hail him and if you have good enough faction, he will tell you he is the keeper of the [Boots of Ro].

You ask Nicholas “What about the Boots of Ro.” And see if he gives you a response. He will tell you to kill a Sand Giant in South Ro that keeps Kilij Plans as he has always wanted the Kilij weapon. There is an easy Sand Giant named Hussein in South Ro. He will have the plans. To get him to spawn, kill any deep green roamer such as Pumas, Undead, Spiders and Scarabs. Eventually a Sand Giant will spawn. If you are lucky, it will be the named Sand Giant but if not, this would be a perfect time to get Sands of Ro. The named Sand Giant is around level 26 or 27 while the regular Sand Giant is level 35 or so. Myself as a level 37 Paladin, I could solo the named Sand Giant with no problem but you will need a group to kill regular Sand Giants.

If you don’t have enough faction with Nicholas, please see the note on Clerics of Underfoot faction. You must be warmly to Jure in order for Nicholas to speak to you (this came from personal experience).

B: Greeves of Ro mold:

Speak to Elisabeth. Hail her and she will say that she is the keeper of the Greeves of Ro. Her test for you is to give her the head of the Nightfall Giant in the West Commons. The Nightfall Giant is fairly common and he only spawns at night. Some say he occasionally shows up in South Ro. To get him to spawn in West Commons, start killing green mobs. Some say the Bears are his place holder but he is common enough so it should not be a problem.

You need good faction with the Temple of Marr. To raise faction, kill Pirhana in the water around the Hall of Truth (Paladin Guild in North Freeport) but this will also hurt your Free Militia faction as well. You may also try to find shark skins and give them to Lord Dushire in the Hall of Truth. Getting helmets from killing Freeport Militia guards work also but this obviously hurts the Freeport Militia faction.

C: Breastplate of Ro mold:

Talk to Abigail. Ask her about the Breastplate of Ro. If you have good enough faction, she will tell you that you need to get two dark cauldrons from the Cooks in Castle Mistmoore. Invis your way into the kitchen. A group of 32-36 should be able to do this. It is also a good time to pickup some MM Granite from the gargoyles there in the servants quarters.

You need good faction with the clerics of Felewithe. Hand in 4 bones chips (DO NOT STACK) at a time to the head cleric Yeolarn Bronzeleaf. You get a faction hit each time and spell. It will take about 400 bone chips to get good enough. You can also hand in muffins to a dwarf named Pandos in the Hogcaller’s Inn at West Freeport. You can give him 4 muffins (DO NOT STACK) at a time and you will receive faction hits.

D: Bracers of Ro mold:

Talk to David. Ask him about the Bracers of Ro. If you have enough faction, he will tell you that you need to get two Goblin nets from the Goblin Netmasters in Lake Rathetear. The goblins are level 30 Shadowknights and they tend to hang around between the island with the blue flame (3 spawn) and the island with the erudite casters. Placeholders for them are Aqua Goblins and Webclaw (NOT Deepwater Goblins).

You need good faction with the Deepwater Knights (erudite paladins). Start killing Elial Brook who is a necro standing next to the dock in Tox Forest. It took me three hours of killing Elial Brook to get myself to amiable to the Deepwater Knight. Elial Brook is on a 5 min spawn. Once your faction is good enough, you can hand in Zombie skins to a Paladin at Odus. She is at the top of the stairs inside the Deepwater Knight Guild. Weligon Steelherder is also looking for Odus Pearls from the Odus harbor. These pearls sit underneath some very easy sharks.

E: Gauntlets of Ro mold:

Talk to Joanna. Ask her about the Gauntlets of Ro. If you have enough faction, she will tell you about a Paladin named Sentry Alachin roaming around South Karana. He shows up as a human paladin or a werewolf. Both are about level 29-30. As a human he will heal A LOT. He tends to roam from Paw, to the Wizard Pyramid, to the Hermit Hut, to the Aviak City and then back to Paw. From what I have seen and heard, he hangs around the Hermit Hut a while. You need the locket from Sentry Alachin but killing him as a human hurts your Knight of Truth/Temple of Marr faction.

You need good faction with the Knights of Truth. Easiest way to raise your faction is to kill Orcs in the common lands or assist people who are killing orcs. Otherwise, kill Pirhana in the river around the Hall of Truth in North Freeport (this will hurt Freeport Militia faction). Another way is to buy shark skins in Freeport and give them to Lord Dushire in the Hall of Truth. (Rumor has it that shark skins are not available at NPC merchants anymore. This has not been confirmed).

F: Vambraces of Ro mold:

Talk to Marianna. Ask her about the Vambraces of Ro. If you have enough faction, she will tell you to get two rotten shark portions from Erud’s Crossing. They come from Plague Sharks just off the coast of the Wisp Island in Erud’s Crossing. They usually show up by the dock or the right of the dock. Be wary of Killer Sharks in the area. The Killer Sharks are quite mean and will attack anything in sight. It is possible to kill the Plague Sharks without bothering with the Killer Sharks. Killer Sharks are level 40-ish and Plague Sharks are level 30-ish.

You need good with the Temple of Life in Qeynos. Hand 3 gold pieces to Lashun Novashine at a time. You will get a faction bonus each time. Lashun is a cleric that wanders around Qeynos and is usually at the ramp to the Temple of Like. About 40-50pp worth of 3gp at a time should be enough to raise your faction. Another way is to turn in Bandit Sashes to Chesgard in the paladin guild. This is a big faction booster.

G: Helm of Ro mold:

Talk to Thomas. Ask him about the Helm of Ro. If you have enough faction, he will tell you to get two Undead Cyclops heads. The Undead Cyclopes spawns in South Karana and usually always shows up around the Aviak City. The Undead Cyclopes spawn use to be broken but now seems to spawn on a regular basis.

You need good with the Temple of Thunder. Just like the Temple of Life in Qeynos, hand 3 gold pieces to Lashun Novashine at a time. You will get a faction bonus each time. Lashun is a cleric that wanders around Qeynos and is usually at the ramp to the Temple of Like. About 40-50pp worth of 3gp at a time should be enough to raise your faction. Another way is to turn in Bandit Sashes to Chesgard in the paladin guild. This is a big faction booster.

Whew. There it is. At this time, I personally have followed the guide and I now have all the pieces of Ro except for the Breastplate and the Vambraces. As I said before, I cannot take credit for this information. I just took the information provided by Wildantor and others and updated it. I hope this will help you.

Stefanvonwest Undeadbane
38th Level Paladin
Knight of Truth
Wielder of Ghoulbane and Falchion of Koad'Vie
Cryptic Alliance
Saryrn
Edited by stefanvonwesten at: 8/11/00 4:37:33 pm
Valya Wanderfoot

Return to Tomes of Knowledge