[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Next AAs to purchase?

Next AAs to purchase?

Spell, Spell Quest, Aura, Discipline and AA discussion.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Next AAs to purchase?

Postby Petryc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm a long-time EQ player (started in March 1999) who quit playing back in ~2005 for the most part, I've come back several times since and ended up leaving again after a few months. My problem is a common one, I just don't have that much time to play most of the time, and soloing was extremely slow going in the past. I've come back and found that I've been able to grind out AA xp very effectively solo, and I've been doing this. Most of my serious playing occurred through PoP and I've dabbled a bit in subsequent content. The last I played before coming back this time was right after DoD came out.

My primary is a level 71 paladin, and I'd like to flesh out my AA to maximise by solo abilities while I'm able to xp in the hole, because I've found that the AA xp really flies in there solo. I'm getting 6-8 AA in one hour per night of hunting (using lesson for the first 30 minutes) From what I understand I'll have to move elsehwere once I hit level 72 (possibly WoS Murks).

Here are the current AA I have. I'd like some feedback on what else I should add before I move back to leveling up, with a focus on maximum solo ability. I'm willing to grind out at least another 50 AA before moving on. I have a magelo, but I can't remember the password and I no longer have access to the linked email account (to recover the password), so I'll just list my current AA here. I've listed the AA followed by the number of levels I have in that ability.

Innate Runspeed 3
Innate Regeneration 3
Combat Agility 8
Combat Stability 3
Natural Durability 3
Physical Enhancement
Combat Fury 6
Slay Undead 7 (max for my level)
Holy Steed
2-Hand Bash
Knight's Advantage 3
Speed of the Knight 3

I'm planning to get Combat Stability up to Rank 8 next. After that I'm considering double riposte, more ranks in Knight's Advantage and/or Speed of the Knight, at least one more rank of lay on hands to access the HoT affect, and the first 5 ranks of planar power, as my current gear (Elegant defiant and equivalents for all slots) maxes all of my stats out. I don't use a merc right now. I use my self buffs only, along with rank 10 haste potions (+50% I believe). Self-buffed and wielding a 2-hander (dawnlight zwiehander), I have ~2160AC and ~12,800 hp.

Any input would be appreciated. Are some of the abilities (divine stun?) worth getting at this point? Should I pick up some healing AA before I move on? Is there something I've overlooked that I should get asap? Something on my list that's not very useful?

Thanks!
Petryc

Paladin Main
Rogue - Alt/Box

Re: Next AAs to purchase?

Postby varutia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 am

Go set up a new magelo account, it helps immensely giving the correct and full information for others to help.

XP wise, hole was one of the best I had other than RoI. If you don't have guild support to jump into higher end grouping or start raiding at higher level, you want to rack up some easy AA at earlier level. Tank class is very AA and gear dependent. At 72 the xp drop off significantly in Hole, you can get better elsewhere. In fact 65 to 70 are the most ideal levels in Hole. I'd also recommend doing the faycite tasks in Dragonscale hills every day, you can the three that does not require kill and rack up some very decent xp at your level and also obtain currency for some really nifty ac augs at same time. I did 72 to 75 in Nest, not really a good place to grind really, drakes got some really nasty debuff.

AA wise

LoH 11 --> you only need to buy one level right now.
Hand of piety 1-6 --> life saver at earlier level, but expensive line, pick up at least first level as cheap mana free instant heal.

dps

Double Riposte 1-6 --> One of the most important xp grind AA.
Vet Wrath 1-3 --> very good value for investment in terms of dps.
Speed of the Knight 4-6 --> Get them
Knight's advaqntage 4-6 --> Get them
Steadfast Will 1-3 --> life changing AA, pretty awesome in both tanking and increase dps since you get stunned less.

Depend on how you heal yourself you get different AA first. If you mostly use HoT, then Spell casting reinforcement 1-3, then spell casting reinforcement mastery follow by healing boon. If you mostly using direct heal, then max out the healing adept then healing gift first. Healing AA do play a significant role in all areas of playing for Paladin such as solo, grouping and raiding, so you'll want to have them done.

Minor dps increase get Spell casting fury line, I wouldn't worry about it until much higher AA count, do not really do much for Paladin.

Also pick up mental clarity 1-3 and Body and Mind Rejuvenation, that is ft4 for some relative minor investment.

Memonic retention is really good, so consider getting.

First 5 level of Planar power also really cheap, so can consider getting as well.

Hastened Piety 1-3, handy aa but expensive at your level.

Planar Durability 1-3, more hps, but not really important soloing wise.

I mentioned a lot of AA, you probably get sick of grinding them before wanting to level, so pick and choose. Paladin really got too much stuff to get and areas to cover, you need grind a lot of AAs.
varutia

Server: Bertoxxulous

Paladin Main

Postby Sylvia Sunhair » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:55 am

XP -> old man mckenzie missions if you can get a group and stomach it, at your level you will get some 10-12 aa / mission or 1 level / mission if you use lesson (lesson dosnt affect AA xp).
AA, i asume you use your levels version of ward of tunare ? (self heal proc buff) if so get some AA into HA and HG for more powerfull heals and crits.
Sylvia Sunhair

Server: Luclin

Postby balladish » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 am

Just to clarify what Sylvia said: lesson does not affect AA experience *gained using Monster Missions/tasks*.
:)
balladish

Paladin Main

Postby Sylvia Sunhair » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Sylvia Sunhair

Server: Luclin

Postby Petryc » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, I spend less than an hour a day online most weeknights. If I'm lucky, I manage to squeeze in some grouping on the weekend here and there.

It sounds like it would be worthwhile for me to grind out more than just 50 more AA in the hole before I move on. I got 5 more last night and haven't spent them yet. I think I'll stick with more dps for now as that makes the AA come faster in the hole (not having any problems tanking in here, barely even have to heal myself with Ward of Tunare on).

As far as dps increase, it sounds like I should do double riposte next, then maybe finish off knight's advantage and speed of the knight 4-6.

Any suggestions on order I should buy the dps AA in to maximise effectiveness?

In regards to Ward of Tunare, which healing AA increase the effects of this spell? I'd guess maybe the HoT crit line would affect Ward of Tunare?

Again, thanks!
Petryc

Paladin Main
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby balladish » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:47 pm

You want to maximize the pulls you can perform without dying. That is the sum total of solo exp grinding. So - I would suggest the following checklist:

1) Make sure you have the best possible DMG weapon you can affort. Delay is not as important as DMG here, since you're gonna wanna get max damage out of those ripostes
2) Max double riposte
3) Max Knight's Advantage, and Speed of the Knight if using a 2H
4) Don't forget at least some defensive AAs, so that you can pull more mobs and survive

And yes you are correct, the AA that affects WoT these days is the HoT one.
balladish

Paladin Main

Postby Boleslav » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Hand of Piety is big, especially in group situations. I suggest getting it sooner rather than later.

When I soloed at that level, I healed primarily with HoT spells. With that in mind, Healing Boon may be more of a priority than the direct heal counterpart.

If you can afford it, try running damage shield potions. At level 71 you should be able to use Skinspikes XI, which will hit the mob for 60 HP each time they hit you. These can usually be had for 35-40pp in the bazaar and last for 15 minutes. I usually burn up 2 for my Lesson of the Devoted each day. This will really add to the riposte damage you do while tanking multiple mobs.

Boleslav Forgehammer
Boleslav Forgehamer
Paladin of Sacred Destiny
Boleslav

Server: Tunare (E'ci)

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby balladish » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Personally I always go with HoT potions instead of memming/casting our own. It's insta-click from the potion belt and frees up mana and mem slot.

Also, regarding Hand of Piety, as Boleslav said it's a group heal spell, so I'd save that for later if you will be mainly soloing.
balladish

Paladin Main

Postby AbyssalMage » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:44 am

Ok, gave me some idea's on what to get next on my pally. Wasn't even going to get riptose aa's but mabye now I will lol.

I xp in CoD and get 10% a kill but sounds like Hole would be better w/out merc at 70. Where in the whole do you fight? Been there a few times but never seemed like great xp.
AbyssalMage

Beastlord Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby shiftie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:54 am

deep inside old paineel there is an entire castle/building that is full of undead mobs.

As for hand of piety - it is a second form of LoH and anyone saying that you should wait is basically wrong. Just because it heals the group doesn't mean you can't use it as a second LoH. At the higher end I use it on raids or in groups to save myself far more often then I use it to save the group.

I recommend purchasing the flurry tribute. It is relatively cheap to maintain.

is what I do when I'm not raiding
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby balladish » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:51 am

shiftie, I gotta disagree with you on HoP - the heal amount is far less than LoH, it lacks the HoT component, and the AA cost to get the AA line to a respectable level is too high, in my opinion, to warrant someone just trying to amass AAs while soloing in the fastest way to spend a lot of those AAs in an ability that can be used once every 30 mins or so. Once the basic AAs for a soloing paladin have been purchased then sure, go ahead and invest in the HoP line. But until then, I think AAs should be spent on the other lines listed in this thread.
balladish

Paladin Main

Postby shiftie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm

skill that allow you to get out of a tight spot. ie an overpull or a situation where you get adds at low mana... pays itself off. This aa could be the difference between surviving a situation and running back to the zone because you died. It saves time and lives in game. Maybe I just rank surviving higher than a 3dps upgrade.
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Coupdvil » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Would have to agree with Shiftee here, HoP has been a very useful tool in my paladin arsenal and having an instant, big, group heal is a plus in my book.
Coupdvil

Postby Kinil » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:56 pm

My fav spot for aa at 71 was WoS murks. PoP root was essential. I could pull several and root park them then pick them off one by one to keep them from running. Fast enough repops also. Just stay away from the raid mob :D
Kinil, 85th Paladin
Test server

Kinil, 65th Paladin
Trakanon server
Kinil

Paladin Main

Postby balladish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 am

I'm not denying the usefulness of Hands of Piety - it's saved my group's life many, many times.

My point was: if we're discussing the AA purchasing decisions of a soloing paladin intent on maxxing his soloing potential, I wouldn't put HoP up there with Double Riposte, Speed of the Knight, Knight's Advantage, and so on as discussed in this thread.

You're going to pay upwards of 30-40 AA to make HoP give you a solid heal. I'm arguing that the OP should spend those AAs elsewhere, giving him the ability to amass AAs faster, and then, by all means, max out HoP.

If this was a paladin who plays the group/raid game more, my opinion would obviously be different.
balladish

Paladin Main

Postby varutia » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 pm

One level of HoP at level it was purchased is actually very handy, once you level up, you have to invest more to get it to be useful again, but first level by itself is good investment verse return at least for me.
varutia

Server: Bertoxxulous

Paladin Main

Return to Spells & Abilities