[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Austerity useless?

Austerity useless?

Spell, Spell Quest, Aura, Discipline and AA discussion.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Austerity useless?

Postby Paraclete » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 am

I am a perfectionist and am compulsively seeking a complete spellbook, so I succumbed to the 5000pp price tag on Blessing of Austerity in the Bazaar and scribed it into my book.

(http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spel ... spell=4065)

I buffed myself up with everything I have, expecting to see a significant increase in max self-buffed HP with this new spell. Instead I found that it overwrote Heroism, Bulwark, and Symbol, and left me with ~300 fewer HP than I had with the spells it overwrote.

So, the question is two parts: first, does Austerity have a legitimate use, and at level 65 I've simply outgrown that use? (In that case - is there a later spell in the line?)

Second, why did this spell, whose effects clearly left me with inferior HP, overwrite seemingly superior buffs? My guess is that it is better than any of those buffs individually, so it overwrites each of them on a case-by-case basis, and the net effect happens to be negative - does that sound about right?
Paraclete

Server: Seventh Hammer / Lanys

Paladin Main

Re: Austerity useless?

Postby Brohg » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:31 am

You are correct about the stacking.

You probably could have expected Austerity, being a level 58 buff, to be worse than your set of higher level individual buffs, though. Try the level 65 spell instead. Level 70 Affirmation, level 75 Sworn Protector, level 80 Oathbound Protector, level 85 Sworn Keeper.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby kolor » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 am

Austerity has a legitimate use if you are under level 61 (assuming there is no cleric to cast virtue or better). It shouldn't be overwriting any of your 61+ buffs though.

Cleric/Paladin targettable hp/ac buff lines are in 2 groups
Separate Components:
HP only (symbol)
AC only (bulwark)
HP/AC buff does not stack with druid skin line (also note that druid skin does not stack with pally hp/ac/ft self buff)

Combined (aego line):
HP/AC buff does not stack with symbol, bulwark, or druid skin line

For a 65 Paladin the buffs would be
Separate Components:
Symbol of Marzin
Bulwark of Faith
Heroism

Combined:
Guidance

For a 70 Paladin the buffs would be
Separate Components:
Symbol of Jeron
Bulwark of Faith
Direction

Combined:
Affirmation
Last edited by kolor on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kolor Kolossus
Holy Defender of Firiona Vie
(Level 85 Paladin of short stature)
kolor

Server: FV

Paladin Main

Postby Paraclete » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 am

I've found that, in this point in EQ's life, filling out my spellbook is a real hassle. And that applies not only to spells that I want simply to fill my book, but also to spells that I legitimately need.

I'm sitting at 65 AA'ing, and consulted Lucy to help compile a list of the spells through level 66 that I still haven't been able to find:

19 Remove Minor Curse
34 Remove Lesser Curse
55 Austerity
65 Ancient Force of Chaos
65 Guidance
65 Light of Order
65 Shackles of Tunare
65 Wave of Trushar
66 Direction
66 Force of Piety
66 Touch of Piety

The problem is, as far as I can tell, nobody hunts in the places where I could find the drops for any of these. It was enough of a hassle getting the ethereal and spectral scrolls in HoH, but I'm finally finished with those - but now this new prospect seems bleaker still. I've stalled at 65 and have accumulated almost 300 AAs by now, so I feel like my character is in relatively good shape for his level, yet he is held back by the lack of critical spells. (And by the lack of anything nicer than Defiant, but that's another story.)

So, as long as we're on topic: any advice on how I can find a few (or all, ideally) of these, considering that the content that drops them is many years out of date and deserted?
Paraclete

Paladin Main

Postby kolor » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:43 am

all of those spells should be able to be crafted by players
kolor

Paladin Main

Postby Paraclete » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:52 am

Paraclete

Paladin Main

Postby shiftie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 am

At lower levels those spells were meant to stack together providing synergy with other classes. At high levels the druid skin line, cleric symbol and ac buff is still the stacking of HP choices for most classes. At higher levels paladins get a hp/ac/mana regen spell that does not stack with druid symbol it does however stack with the austerity line of spells making that a superior combination for us. With the recent addition of mercs our HP buff lines (minus brells) are all but worthless because at the click of a button we and everyone else has access to the cleric line of spells which has always been superior to our own. It is a rare occasion that you will ever be asked to cast those spells on anyone. Alot of our spell book has become obsolete... a lot of our spell lines have been discontinued see thunder of karana and the resist buff lines.

On the list that you typed out the MUST HAVE spell is shackles of tunare. Those lesser curse cures are all outdone by Remove Greater Curse which still has relevance in todays game.

good luck.

is what I do when I'm not raiding
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Paraclete » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:49 am

Paraclete

Paladin Main

Postby shiftie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:54 pm

That is how the buffs will work. At level 69 you will get armor of the champion (ac/hp/mana regen) and you will aslo always keep that buff up. You will also gain silent piety by doing a spell arc (possibly researched) at level 69.

Shackles of tunare never gets upgraded all the way to level 85 unless at some point it becomes an AA (which hasn't happened yet). The 0.75 sec cast time makes it one of the better roots in the game up until recenty regardless of the duration which seems to be sporadic based on how root works to determine if it breaks or not.

The other really beneficial spell that you could get your hands on is ancient force of chaos. This is the first time that you will have the opportunity to stun lock mobs through the rotation of this second 1 sec stun iirc (my history on the matter is a bit hazy since they went and added stuns after the fact).

The heals will all be upgraded and it depends on how long you plan on staying 65 I guess. The upgraded 1 second heal is about 172 hp healed for 40 or so mana so the efficiency is better on the Light of order spell but it isn't going to make or break you. The same logic applies to wave of trushar. I doubt that you will be involved in many groups at that level unless you are playing on mayong and then my logic is probably flawed but your activity on group heals isn't going to be all that high if you are mainly soloing light blues.

Basically as you level now you will want to complete each and every spell because they all serve their purpose.
Last edited by shiftie on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Peaky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:57 pm

re: research

1.) Hybrids can research, yes, but it is so cost-prohibitive that I would discourage you from making the attempt yourself (if your sole purpose is to fill out your spell book); usually supplying the appropriate papers/parchments/scrolls to an int-caster that researches is a good way to get a cheap combine completed.

2.) The Ancient spell listed can't be researched, and the targets that drop the item you turn in for it are a bit beyond you at this point; you'll be able to come back later in life and solo one of the targets, however. (In Qvic).

re: necessity of heals

1.) I would err on the side of getting those heals since it appears you aren't of the intent to level until you get some more aa points (good plan).

2.) Each paladin finds their own style of healing solo; personally I prefer Heal over Time spells to the ones you listed, but that doesn't make touch/light worthless. If you prefer direct heals, then yes by all means quickly get at least one of the two (Touch line being the most efficient, but slower casting).
Peaky

Server: The Tribunal

Paladin Main

Postby Paraclete » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:25 pm

Paraclete

Paladin Main

Postby Peaky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:03 pm

I fail at quoting a quote.
Last edited by Peaky on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peaky

Paladin Main

Postby Peaky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Peaky

Paladin Main

Postby Zanador » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 am

Stun lock = using your stun spells to lock the mob so it isn't hitting you. This is generally done with the 2 1 second cast stuns so there is a brief moment while waiting on spell refreshes that you are gonna take damage.
As for spell Arc he's referring to the DoD group missions. There Are 3 sets of group missions that are each 5 missions that when you complete one of the sets of missions ie if you complete the 69 set you get the level 69 spell, if you complete the 68 set you get the level 68 spell (note paladins do not get a level 70 spell so unless you are doing the werewolf resist clicky mask you don't have to do the 70 set)
Zanador

Server: rathe

Postby kolor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:54 am

chain stunning is alternating the stuns as soon as the gem refreshes
stun locking is timing the stuns so the mob is always stunned (or as close to it as possible)
kolor

Paladin Main

Postby AbyssalMage » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:01 pm

AbyssalMage

Beastlord Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Peaky » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Peaky