[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - W/SoT Balance Discussion

W/SoT Balance Discussion

Spell, Spell Quest, Aura, Discipline and AA discussion.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

W/SoT Balance Discussion

Postby Hulkling » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:32 pm

WoT, DS, and Druid Reptile are retuned and on test. I don't have a toon on test of the proper level to test it out....anyone?

Prathun mentions it here http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts ... _id=133689
Hulkling

Veteran -

Paladin Main

Re: WoT retuned on Test

Postby Siocnarf » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:58 am

Its a nerf as far as i can tell so far.It leaves a icon in short buff duration for 8 or 10 sec and during that period it cannot re-trigger.My sk friend was cursing like a sailor last vish we did because the rune effect on sk line has the same crap and he was getting shoved around like popcorns in the machine while spiting shadows.
Siocnarf

Server: Test

Paladin Main
Beastlord - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Thebobo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:20 pm

With the exception of having fun now and then with Vindi like mobs I personally never cared much about WOT and would trade it in heartbeat for more snap agro.

But I also know WoT had large following and became a mainstay for many lower end and more casual Paladins. About the only way I would care to see it revisited is to bring back the old version and equivalently scaled up to level 80. It was hardly overpowered as it was.
Thebobo

Paladin Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:04 pm

It was pretty exceptionally overpowered. The healing it provided was out of scale with the paladin class, its own mana cost, its duration, the whole deal. WoT has a large following and still is a mainstay for nearly every high end and hard core Paladin. Your ambivalence is a pretty rare exception among paladins I know or have heard of.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 pm

So its another damn nerf??

I mean, how does he get off using terminology of "returned" if it will proc less often?

Although I do like the idea of it critting again, that was long overdue. Any more people willing to weigh in on this? I don't have the patience to level another paladin on another server just to see if we are getting screwed again or if something good might come of fiddling with spells.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Bruennor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:52 pm

It was only overpowered in content that was old. Content that was easily soloable by any class, raid content that was soloable by many classes, content that was faction/tradeskill based that many other classes could already kill more than us in the same amount of time.

So I don't exactly see why it was nerfed.

On modern content, the unnerfed version wouldnt be over powered. On future content I doubt it would be either since mobs only hit harder every expansion.

Always see soe take and take and take, thought wot was a gift for all the taking, but nope, gave us a gift with a poison apple in the middle.

I don't use the spell anymore due to my feelings regarding it and its upgrade, and my general dissatisfaction with how the game has been treated over the last 2 years, and the changes coming look suspect.
Bruennor

Postby Hulkling » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:04 pm

its always critted, and has never stopped critting. dunno wtf he's talking about. I'm guessing the 1-tick HoT will crit with Healing Boon AAs maybe
Hulkling

Veteran -

Paladin Main

Postby Normy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:39 am

I was pretty sure that when the first nerf bat hit, it was taken off the crit ability list. There is a great quote running around somewhere of Prath saying the reasoning behind it was because "some paladins were getting greater use out of it because of their AA's".... which is kinda the whole point to AA's in the first place. Maybe that was for the increased heal amount instead of crits, not really sure I was too annoyed to really pay close attention to how the pine cone enema was being done.

Since I barely use it now, I really don't notice if it crits or not, I rarely notice procs from it when I'm dealing with mobs that hit for 2k+ on average.

As for the discussion of WoT being overpowered or not, that conversation has been done to death. In my opinion, it was the most powerful spell we had, and maybe thats why it was nerfed. It did get abused, and it got noticed. Its been stated numerous times, it will NEVER get put back to the form it was once in, no amount of complaining will change that with the extremely dim-witted 'I-hate-knight-class' Prath at the wheel.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Luthair » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:18 am

Luthair

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby Arslayn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 am

If WoT was overpowered then how is Lassitude and its upgrade not? Lassitude procs the same as the old un-nerfed WoT works off all the same AA's so heals are extended and crit and mob con makes no difference on its proc rate, oh and last but not least it also casts a slow on the mobs.
Arslayn

Server: Povar

Berserker Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Kianor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:49 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main

Postby Veril » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:51 am

Veril

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Dorillion » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 am

Ouch!! on 250 mobs hitting you.
Dorillion

Paladin Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:43 am

WoT was nerfed because of the various other ways people found to exploit it. Imagine gathering up 20 level 30 mobs, dragging them around, make sure they are to your back, and fighting a much more powerful "raid" mob that you shouldn't be able to fight. The amount of procs going off would keep you healed up the entire time, and getting casts off while fighting was easy enough to do with spell haste and/or horse mount.

People used variations of that method for grinding xp as well, just using less adds. And it was noticed. That made it overpowered. In a raid setting on modern content, its not likely to save you because of the large amounts of damage output by the mobs. That said, I've not seen a pally clear most of PoFire in a single pull like shakerpaging, but that stayed in the game for 6+ years?

My solution would have been to not make it proc on trivial content, and let the level increase handle the rest. Having too many green mobs at level 80 could still kill most paladins, because as the levels have gone up, mob DPS has increased much faster than the damage mitigation of a pally. But then, I like knight classes, and Prath does not. So he made it useless, like so many spell lines before it.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Bruennor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:47 am

I am curious, exactly what raid mob that nobody should kill was killable by a paladin with a group of lv 30 mobs on him?

And I used the skill to exp on murks in wos. I had 3500 ac, and I couldnt handle more than 4 murks tops, otherwise I had to use loh, clicky group heal, and so on. So I know most of the paladins in game could not use the spell to get worthwhile exp. So due to paladins being able to kill a few new raid mobs that were already killable by other classes, and the highest end paladins being able to grind exp a bit easier, wot was nerfed for all the people who could do neither, as well as those who could do one, the other, or both.

There was no reason for it not to work on low content. All of our spells scale downwards far better than they scale upwards, but the fun one we got was nerfed because it was too fun, if I do say so my self. They should of done a much milder nerf, like lowering the number of mobs that could proc it to something like 5, kind of like how they nerfed the wizard beams.
Bruennor

Postby Brohg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:51 am

lol four exp mobs at once beating on you, solo. And you won, because of WoT. Totally great argument for the spell's balance.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Grungloe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:43 am

Take a look at what this does to druids for healing.

Once upon a time they were almost brought close to the other priests for sustainable healing in exp groups. Now? They are even further behind than ever before. Is it any wonder that they become even fewer and far between?
Grungloe

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby shiftie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:06 pm

is what I do when I'm not raiding
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Saeel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:40 am

Don't bother looking at the magelo, its out of date something horrid...
Saeel

Server: Stromm

Postby dindaur » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 am

my only annoyance regarding this whole continuing tunare fiasco drama nonsense is that languor still remains this infinate proc machine while the rest of the proc spells based upon the rate of inc hits are getting nerfed into the ground.

i guess sony just doesnt think a slow is overpowering, even if its cast maybe... an infinate amount of times in a minute, i guess a slowed mob is considered ok versus a healed player.

i mean, it makes sense, tunare used to be like god mode basically. if you had enough mobs and a corner to prop yourself against, you would be full health for at least... what... 20 seconds? then cast it again. i think we figured out it was 1 or 2 cheals, but over time, and uh, it would come as soon as you got a hit, so its sort of like autoheal.

anyhow, anyone who played through it got a nice treat for awhile, we had some fun, then it got nerfed. now i just really am tired of hearing about it heh. i think the devs need to uh move on as well, its not worth their focus, there's more important things like the new abilities to focus on. every time i see languor spam, i uh, get a little sick heh. call it a tunare flashback, heh.
Lord Dindaur Stoutbrew
dindaur

Server: the nameless

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Kianor » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:03 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Veril » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:04 am

Veril

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Ghirador » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:07 am

so dev's have time to retune wot and they still have no time to fix aurora of morrow. priceless. oh wait, aurora isn't overpowered its useless. i forget they only have time to retune overpowered spells.
Ghirador <Final Empire>
Povar
Ghirador

Postby Kianor » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby dindaur » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 pm

dindaur

Server: the nameless

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:14 pm

And part of what people are still missing here.

No, I guess WoT isn't a 'core' spell line for paladins. But what is exactly? All of our spell lines are just copy/paste less effective versions of cleric spells, except on ones that we would actually like. We lost our paci line even though that continued to get upgrades for other classes. Our root hasn't been touched in 15 levels. For some reason they feel the need to force our buffs to be refreshed on the hour every hour, but other than that they are last expansions buff. We are not worthy of a high-end rez, apparently this would eliminate the need for clerics or something /boggle.

We have stuns, which have been taking many hits over the years in usefulness. We have brells, the bastard half-twin of a BST buff. We now have the burst line, which is the best thing that we have left, but then our heal crits took a hit because we once again were effective (apparently that is against the rules).

Ward gave us something truely unique to us. It was THE spell to have as a pally, something we had to level 70 times for, but gave us the ability to save ourselves besides hoping we didn't fizzle again. I did use it to solo, when I couldn't find a group it was a decent alternative. In an Lesson burn in WoS, I could come out with 2-3 AA's depending on luck with slays and if my root didn't break and get me killed. Of course, burning my lesson in a good group other places would result in 4-5 AA's.

Of course, now I'm back to running for the zone if I have more than one mob on me without a group. Solo is not worth it now, and they effectively destroyed another spell line, one that actually made the game a little fun for us. Yes, it was a bit overpowered, in places like HoH, I could round up like 8 mobs and beat my way through them. Of course, they are worth next to no xp these days. But while I was doing that, I did have the fun of watching a warrior gather up 30 mobs, disc, and wipe them out in about a minute while never dropping below 70% health.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Brohg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:25 pm

But there's no additional effect from multiple procs of Lass line, is the point. Additional procs of WoT/Reptile/Dskin multiply the effect of the buff.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Saeel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Saeel

Server: Stromm

Postby Grungloe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:46 pm

funny thing is, nobody ever brings up the clerics solo'ing 20+ mobs at a time with Ward of Requital in these conversations of class balance and absurd solo'ing power.
Grungloe

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Hulkling » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:17 am

Hulkling

Veteran -

Paladin Main

Postby knytul » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:32 am

so what are u gonna do about it Hulk?
knytul

Paladin Main

Postby Hulkling » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:54 am

I've mentioned it before, and it just gets blown off. When I actually have a chance to test the new WoT I will make direct comparisons to cleric ward and give them my input (again).
Hulkling

Veteran -

Paladin Main

Postby Saintsaens » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:25 am

Saintsaens Sacre`Coeur
Lvl 100 Holy Defender
Officer/Assistant RL, Sol Invictus, The Tribunal

Formerly
Saintsaens Sacre`Coeur
Lvl 65 Paladin
Officer, Splintered Essence
Vulak`Aerr

Formerly
Lvl 52 Crusader
Archaic Arbitrators, Tallon Zek
Saintsaens

Server: Bristlebane

Paladin Main

Postby Bruennor » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Bruennor

Postby Brohg » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Plain stupid how, Bruennor? I don't think it's stupid at all, but if it is, certainly not plainly so. I'll take stupid if it fits, but you need to back yourself up, big time.

WoT extended your capabilities in a way incompatible with balance limits on an efficient and convenient single spell. So it wasn't the difference between life and death in that case (though it happened to be in other cases), so what? Without it, you were required to use a bunch of other abilities, playing hard to do something cool. With the original WoT, those abilities were not required, and a paladin without all your accomplishments would do the same thing, just walk up to the four exp mobs and bash them to death without a second thought.

There are make-or-break, encounter-changing powers. Those powers aren't generally convenient, efficient, or cheap vis-a-vis time invested to get them. Like each AC augment, each incremental +3dmg on a 2h weapon, each AA point, every ability a character gets is intended to be just one more tool in building character power, the accumulation of all of which makes a great character. In the form of its initial release, Ward of Tunare was too good. "I have WoT, so [whatever] is okay" isn't a good sentiment for game balance. The same problem is encountered in some other classes, just yours happens to be fixable.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Arslayn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:53 pm

Heh retuned to make it crit capable? it already does crit......so they are changing.... nothing?
Arslayn

Server: Povar

Berserker Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:56 am

Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Kianor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:38 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Bruennor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Bruennor

Postby knytul » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:10 am

ok after looking this whole thing over...after the devs rearrange HOW we get our heal...the only major change i see....is 12 procs instead of 24. (4 procs a min, duration: 3 min) So um...how is this NOT a nerf to an Already Overnerfed spell?
knytul

Paladin Main

Next

Return to Spells & Abilities