[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - What aug to use in my 2.0

What aug to use in my 2.0

Information about gear drops and quests, including Epics; also gear checks.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

What aug to use in my 2.0

Postby balladish » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Hello fellow paladins,

Long time lurker first time poster here.

I used to have two Deep Sky stone augs in my 2.0, when a fellow guildie told me that it's been shown that the multiple Life Sap II procs actually cancel each other out so that you end up proccing less rather than more. Since then, I've swapped one out for a Bauble of Aggression, a 4 Fire DMG aug. The other alternative I had was to go for a Life Sap I aug from the DoN merchant along with my Life Sap II aug. I often solo, so I opted for the increased DPS aug instead of the defensive one.

Two questions:

1. Does a Fire DMG increase, versus a regular DMG, always increase the damage on mobs? What does the fact that it is 'Fire' versus regular DMG mean in terms of overall dps?

2. Depending on the answer to 1., did I make a good choice? If not, what would you recommend?

Edited to add: a 3. question if I may. Does anyone know of a riposte mod aug?

Many thanks!
balladish

Paladin Main

Re: What aug to use in my 2.0

Postby Normy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Fire damage acts as normal damage, however that portion of the damage can be resisted as though spell based. So in other words, using a fire damage against a fire elemental won't be as effective since its likely to resist the fire damage portion of your swings.

Its not a bad choice on most mobs. There is a damage aug out of Crystallos you should look into if you can get flagged. Its straight damage, so no resist check, and it fits into slot type 4. I prefer damage over procs most of the time. I don't know enough to comment on whether or not the 2 same procs will do anything to proc rates.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Brohg » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 pm

I've never heard anything like this "procs canceling out". Sounds like poppycock. Where's the data, what's your source?
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Carmaris » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:34 pm

I seem to remember reading something a loooong time ago about the way procs work--it was after concern was raised that spell combat procs conflicted with innate, which in turn conflicted with aug procs. If I'm remembering right, it was determined that all three used separate timers (procs per minute determined differently for each type of proc) so there was no conflict.

Of course, that would have been before weapons with two aug slots were in game (I think Romidar was one of the people doing the testing, which should help date how old this is) so I could see how two aug procs might conflict with each other since they would theoretically share a timer, but I'd imagine that would be regardless of what type of augs procs you're talking about. Wouldn't think it'd reduce the overall number of procs, just that you'd get the same number of procs with two augs as you would with one.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with dual aug procs and even if I did I don't parse data...this is merely speculation.
Carmaris

Postby balladish » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:34 pm

balladish

Paladin Main

Postby Rasdom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 pm

Take a look at my epic.

You can get both with 1 group.

Rasdom

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Galelor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Galelor

Veteran -

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby frocus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:33 pm

since the 2 lifetaps cant proc the same round the first aug will proc as normal however any round in which first weap proc fires second proc wont go off so if you proc 3x a minute from weap affinity and have no combat effect then 3 rounds out of every minute wont be able to fire second one it doesnt have that large an effect. 2nd aug will still probably see around 2.8 ppm.
frocus

Postby Opfor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Go do a Everfrost LDoN raid (Syncaria?) the 4dmg +1 aug is common. then add in a lifetap aug, or crys dmg aug.
The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry
Opfor

Shadowknight Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Grimnar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:20 pm

Grimnar

Server: Innoruuk (Nameless)

Postby Zyph » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Gah! Now I'm considering re-augging my epic to go test some of these statements out. I had 2 Life Sap 2 augs in my 1.5 for the longest time before upgrading to what I have now, and I could have sworn that I saw dual procs simultaneously from the augs. It was a while ago, though, so I could be remembering it wrong. :?

I do have a suggestion for another aug for the epic that's relatively easy to get now. It's a drop from the Depths of Darkhollow mission Flight of the Seeker on normal difficulty, and it's called the Dark Shroud Gem. It's only slot 8, so you can't use it in conjunction with the one you have from RSS, but it does have 1 regular damage and 3 cold damage. I guess it depends what you fight, but you may see a slight damage increase due to the one normal damage instead of all of it being based on a resist check. I have that and the Crystallos augment currently (which if you can get I highly recommend, along with everyone else who's posted that I've read) which I believe is called simply the Green Crystallos Stone. You can check, but I'm pretty sure that it's the best 2hand aug you can get that's groupable right now (I don't know about all the new stuff from SoD though).

If you're interested in the Dark Shroud Gem, you can check out the detailed mission info in the Reference Desk section of this site!

Zyph Starcatcher
81 Paladin on Tunare
Zyph

Paladin Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Carmaris » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:29 am

Hmm...maybe I'm a little confused by the term "round." Is that each swing or each attack cycle? Because I'm pretty sure I've seen multiple procs per attack cycle, ie on individual swings within a double/triple/quadruple attack (have darkened mithril two-hander with a lifetap aug). Pretty sure I see them back to back fairly often and even in conjunction with buff proc, though I suppose some of that could be off ripostes.

Don't log or anything, so this is based on casual observation
Carmaris

Postby Grimnar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:10 pm

You can't proc a weapon off a riposte and a round is an attack cycle. So even if you flurry, supposedly you can still get only 1 weapon proc even if you swing 4 or 5 times that round. I've yet to see any parse data proving otherwise. You can get them in conjuction with a buff proc. Buff and weapon procs fire independently (and innate procs like SK lifetap are independent of both of those as well).
Grimnar

Server: Innoruuk (Nameless)

Postby frocus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:42 pm

You'll be able to proc a lifesap off the weap plus your selfbuff proc in one round but wont get both lifetaps to go off from what I've seen.
frocus

Postby Rasdom » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Rasdom

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Carmaris » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:38 am

Carmaris

Postby Normy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:55 am

Normy