[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - New Paladin, hopefully new questions

New Paladin, hopefully new questions

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

New Paladin, hopefully new questions

Postby Namiren » Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 am

Howdy all,

I'm currently a 57ish paladin with 4 AA's (flex) on Bertoxx/Saryn, came back after a long hiatus to join some friends and my gf who are actively playing again and decided to go paladin since they needed a tank and I've always liked the class. I've read over the zones to exp in and how to go about it but I do have a few questions.

My current plan is to get 60, slay undead and work on defensive aa's a bit but is 60 the best level to do this? I have access to my gf's 85 druid with decent gear and AA's to heal/snare when I exp. Would it be better to level up a bit more before locking since I can play with her? I only have 4 AA's atm since I was 49 when I returned so I pretty much have nothing. Aside from slay, how many ranks of CS and CA would be a good platform to start from? There's 45ish ranks now which is somewhat daunting. I know shield block and 2hand bash are nice, any others I should aim for first?

Secondly, as far as aug's go I remember flameshield(?) augs from riftseekers, the shield ac aug from ashengate and the enforcer medallion from one of the DoD missions, any other 60-80 augs I should keep an eye out for?

Any other advice would be welcome and hopefully see you in game!
Namiren

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Bard - Alt/Box

Re: New Paladin, hopefully new questions

Postby Aragir Lancot » Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 am

The main reason to work on Slay Undead is so that you can do more DPS to xp mobs and thereby level up/AA up faster. I'm not 100% that level 60 is the best point at which to do this, but I do have to say that being able to get large crits on undead is pretty much the most fun thing about being a paladin. I have an audio trigger that plays when I get a slay (it sounds like an organ playing the Windows "tah-dah" sound), and it makes me smile, pretty much every night.

I think at level 60 you can only get 3 ranks each of Combat Agility/Stability. Not 100% on that either, though. If you plan on tanking, though, you should be buying new ranks of CA/CS every time you gain a level. Shield block isn't available until a higher level, like 75 or something, but 2h bash is there for you at 60, and you should get it. Also get Holy Steed - being on horseback prevents pushback when you're outdoors, which is very handy.

For augments, you should be able to get hotzone augments or Serpents Spine quested augments that do great for you (TSS is the best place to level up a new character now - the gear and quests are far superior to the old world). Riftseekers augments are still worth getting if you don't have better, obviously, but there are SO MANY hotzone augments and similar that are droppable and found all over, that you shouldn't have to go that far to get something worth having.

Once you get Slay Undead, you'll want to xp in Veksar, I think. I also hear The Hole is good for undead, but I didn't like how far from zone in you had to go to get to the undead mobs.
Aragir Lancot

Postby Ughbash » Tue May 22, 2012 7:23 am

I would work on CA and CS (and whatever else you can get) at 55 when they are avaiable. I would probably also pick up run 3 at 51.
Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Namiren » Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 am

What would be a good level to stop and bang out a few hundred aa? From what I've read here and elsewhere I'm thinking maybe 70ish, up to that point stop each level and max CS/CA, slay, runspeed. I've been in hot zones so far dropping mobs to 40% then finishing off with druid to keep kills going faster.
Namiren

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Bard - Alt/Box

Return to Crusaders' Warhall