hulking

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Re: hulking

Postby Silverboltt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Ok tweaked these to reflect specifics like Hulking asked for. I'll delete my previous post.

AAs:

Serenity of the Tranquil:
Description: Pacifies your target, lowering its aggressiveness for 12 secs (2 ticks). Affects creatures up to level 85.
Target Type: Single
Effect: Reaction Radius (10/85)
Casting Time: 2.0 Seconds
Recast: 10.0 seconds
Duration: 12.0 Seconds
(Note: We used to be able to do this until level 55, and then we lost it. If you use these parameters, given cast/recast times, we could never pacify more than one mob. This ability would only allow us to split pairs of mobs, nothing more)
Ranks: 1 (12AA) (Not sure clerics or even chanters get this as an AA so maybe we could get it as a spell? If this went to test server and confirmed it wasn't overpowered, then charge us 9-12 AA per rank to increase the duration or decrease the recast by 1.0 second per rank.)

High Morale:
Description: You channel your valor through your companions, allowing them to act without fear.
Target Type: Group v2
Effect: Increase Chance to Resist Fear by 10000%
Casting Time: 1.5 Seconds
Recast Time: 72 Minutes
Duration: 60.0 seconds
Ranks: 1 (12AA)
(Think warriors have a version of this that lasts for 30 seconds (not verified) so coding could be similar. Room also here to lower recast time, increase duration with additional AAs. Make a prerequisite to have the Fearless AA, then you're looking at 30 AA minimum to even get this ability. )

Oath of Protection:
Description: You shield one of your companions from harm, allowing you to receive 10, 15, 25% of their incoming melee damage.
Casting Time: Instant
Duration: 90 seconds
Recast Time: 30 minutes
Ranks: 3 (7/9/12)
(25% not gonna save someone if they're getting whaled on, but this would be a useful utility for a hard hitting UF named if you have a warrior as MT, or if you want to protect a caster while you're trying to get agro off them. Correct me if I'm wrong but the coding already exists for this type of ability.)

Pious Intervention:
Description: Bestows the favor of the gods upon you, granting you a second chance at life should you fall in battle. Consumes a pair of emeralds when cast.
Target Type: Self
Casting Time: 15.0 Seconds
Duration: 5 Minutes
Recast Time: 15 minutes
(Short duration and long recast/cast times should go a long way towards not being an overpowered ability. Again, this could be a spell since clerics don't have it as an AA).

Inquisition:
Description: Your relentless inquisition renders your target vulnerable to melee attacks, increasing the damage they take for 24 seconds.
Effect: Increase incoming melee damage by (1/2/3/4/5/6/7%)
Casting Time: 3.0 Seconds
Duration: 24 seconds (4 ticks)
Recast Time: 72 Minutes
Ranks: 7 (7/7/9/9/12/12/12)
(Does not stack with Funeral Dirge. Everything about what I suggested is worse than Funeral Dirge (over double the recast time, and just 1% over half the incoming melee damage, as well as a duration of 4 ticks compared to FD's 7 ticks, so we're not getting a better ability than bards have in any aspect).

Divine Hands:
Automatically casts Lay Hands on self (if it’s available) upon death. I'm not sure how you'd code this one but I would pay a ton of AA for this.

Gift of Resurrection II:
Description: Revives a slain ally, restoring 93 percent of their lost experience. It takes some time for the recently revived to fully recover.
Effect: Resurrect and restore 93% experience
Target Type: Corpse
Casting Time: 6.0 seconds (same as rank 1)
Recast: 25 seconds
(I don't think we're ever going to get 96, and I think a form that allows the person to come back without rez effects or some mana is out of the question since clerics have nothing like this. I'm willing to settle for 93-94).

Summon Pegasus
Description: You call the most holy of mounts to your side.
(can code this the same as FoS #3 flying mount in terms of clicking once to summon, clicking again to levitate, just change the graphic and keep the same holy steed speed. You could save time by using existing holy steed model and put some wings on it, then change animation for levitating.)

Crusader's Guard:
Description: Bestows the Guard of the Crusader on your companions, rendering them invulnerable.
Target Type: Group v2
Effect: Invulnerable
Casting Time: 1.0 Second
Recast Time: 30 minutes
Ranks: 2 (12/12AA)
Duration (1 tick/2 ticks)
(Could be useful for getting AE agro, but with a recast of 3 times what beacon is, not overpowered in the AE agro department. More of a useful tool for saving for protecting your companions, which is what I believe the paladin is all about).

Leading the Charge
Description: You charge forward with a surge of heroism and valor.
(Code this one exactly like hate step or battle leap, including effect, recast, and AA cost. Just change the description and you've got some happy paladins).

Propulsion of Faith
Description: This ability, when activated, will blast your target with holy might and hurl them away from you. Additional ranks increase the amount of hate that this ability generates.
Cast Time: Instant
Recast Time: 2.0 Minutes
Ranks: 3 (9/11/12, increase hatred by 1000, 2000, 3000)
(SKs have an ability that pulls mobs towards them and generates 3, 6, and 9000 agro. This ability pushes targets away and generates only 1/3 the agro that SKs get. Cast/Recast Timers are the same as Hate's Attraction. If we're worried about overpowering, remove the agro component all together. This ability would be great to partner with Shackles)

Improved Blessed Aura
Description: Improves the potency of your Blessed Aura
Effect: Set healing effectiveness to (6/7/8%)
Ranks: 3 (10/11/12)
(Keep all coding the same, just boost the effectiveness of the aura. No overpowering here in my opinion, considering that you're raising the effectiveness of the aura by 3% total for 33AA. A 3% increase is as much as 1 rank of healing adept, which only costs 12).

Disciplines.
We know offensive discs have not been paid attention to in a while, and even defensive discs are lackluster. I’m glad Honorific Mantle is over 3x more effective than previous vie disc in terms of total damage mitigated. But what about a defensive disc like warriors have except much less powerful?

Maybe something like:
1. Increase melee mitigation by 25%
2. Decrease all skills damage modifier by 65%
3. 1 minute duration
4. Endurance Cost: 20/second
5. Recast Time: 15 minutes (5 minutes longer than warriors)

As far as a DPS disc goes, it's not possible to borrow coding from other classes that get things like:
Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 117%
Increase All Skills Minimum Damage Modifier by 468%
Because then we run into the issue of slay DPS. I'm not sure how to code this one, folks.

By the way I think there are some really nice ones other people posted too, more ranks of AotI, Lay Hands, etc. I just didn't include those ones because I don't see the need to repeat them, but I'd love to see those added too. Notice a lot of what I suggested leaves a lot of room for increasing durations and decreasing recasts, etc. Elidroth could squeeze over 50, 60, 70AAs out of just one single ability on some of these. These kind of AAs would allow for a lot of new content and minimize the effort on the part of the devs, while still giving us some very valuable utilities. Every AA I just suggested except divine hands is simply an ability or spell that already exists for another class (pacify (clr/enc have this), group DA (DA just with target type group v2), self divine intervention (clr have DI), group fear immunity (war have this), battle leap/hate step (war, sk have these) propulsion of faith (SK have hate's attraction), inquisition (bards have FD), 93% rez, Pegasus (code for FoS #3 mount), shielding AA, and increasing blessed aura from 5% to 8% when capped. None of these abilities should require massive code changes.
Silverboltt

Paladin Main

Previous

Return to Crusaders' Warhall