[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - 2 recent aggro questions

2 recent aggro questions

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

2 recent aggro questions

Postby ZsaZsa Vavoom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Stupid question inc...

So recently I've noticed two different things regarding aggro that I couldn't quite explain. Perhaps someone can shed light. Though even as I start to type this, I think I may know the answer.

First case. A group of people are fighting a mob that is definitely KoS to me. I run up to the group. I'm standing like a foot from the mob. I'm still swirling; no crossed swords. Even if I didn't happen to smack it in the mouth and join the fight, I'd surely expect aggro from a mob that hates me as I stand face to face with it.

Second case. We're doing the Stasis event. FV, Lanys, and Curator are cleaning house. I get rezzed on the opposite side of the room from where the carnage is taking place. It is pretty clear we're going to wipe, so I'm thinking about camping. But I notice that I have no crossed swords; seemingly no aggro, and I'm on the opposite side of the room from them, so I figure I'll just keep my distance and lay low. Then, as the raid is about dead, I suddenly get summoned and instakilled.

As I type these, I'm wondering if I've made some incorrect assumption about the relationship between aggro and the crossed swords icon. For a while, one of my main uses of that icon was to figure out if I'd cleared aggro when I tried to outrun a mob. So at some point I wired into my brain, "Crossed swords == aggro. No crossed swords == no aggro." Now I'm wondering if it isn't quite that simple... Where did I go wrong in my assumptions?
ZsaZsa Vavoom of Drinal
85th Level Paladin of The Kindred and Keeper of the Funk
ZsaZsa Vavoom

Server: Drinal

Paladin Main

Re: 2 recent aggro questions

Postby boukk » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:36 pm

For the 2nd case, even tho you were not on aggro list, cause you werent intereacting and some of your guildy were, but still is the aggro range, when the npc have been done with your guildmate, you went back in the aggro list by the aggro range.

As long as a mob is busy with someone, and your not intereacting with the mob and the player fighting the mob, you ll be out of aggro

Everytime you re on aggro, you ll have crossed sword,however sometime you ll have crossed sword cause of bug and not be on aggro.
boukk

Postby Normy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:59 pm

In situation one, you will NOT be in agro unless the mob wins and kills the group, then it will notice you and put you into combat.

Thats why on events like Rottrued, for phase 1 I'm typically in the swing group, so if a group struggles or something goes wrong and a group just dies for whatever reason, I can easily walk right past a bunch of totems with KoS mobs at them, as long as the group has them engaged they never look at me twice.

In situation 2, its likely either large agro range on the raid mobs that picked you up after they ate your raid, or some events do have some type of agro built into the script. So once its triggered you are always on agro if in the zone until it resets. I've not done the event you are describing, so I'm not sure which is the case.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Genadinee » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:05 pm

First case, you didnt get smacked because the aggro generated simply by standing next to kos mob was less than that generated by those activly engaged in combat.

Second case, It sounds like proximity aggro or you could go on the hate list if whoever rezzed you was already on hate, but because you zoned you didnt get the x swords. I have found in the past in FoS if you out run a mob and go into ooc if you go back close to them they re aggro but its not due to new proximity.

Hope this kinda helps.
Genadinee

Server: Atonius

Paladin Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby boukk » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:54 pm

boukk

Postby Sylvia Sunhair » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Actually in case 1 normy is right as long as a mob have active agro on a player you can do a pole dance in front of it without it will notice you, as long as you dont do anythign to activly get on agro list your safe (to group wipe or evac).

In case 2 i have no idea havent done the event but some mobs have zone wide agro (like fos progression trial where you have to break the eggs), or a very large agro range so as soon as they are finished with rest of the raid who was on active agro they notice you.

In both cases as long as the mobs are activly engaging some players they wont agro you before those are done (with the exention of soem rather exitic scribts).
Sylvia Sunhair

Server: Luclin

Postby knytul » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:11 pm

so any more questions? :P
knytul

Paladin Main

Postby Normy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:37 pm

What is the meaning of life and everything?
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Mendler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:51 pm

1 has been thoroughly went over.

Situation 2 in Stasis from the way I understand the event if you are in the room you are in the event. If you are in the event, you will be on the agro list even if you just rezzed and wiped off the list.

Strange thing about that event is once the doors are closed there is no getting in until the event is completed or failed. I went afk and when I was back the doors were closing. I ran to the doors to see if I could open them but no dice. I stood with my face buried in the door to see if I could watch the action when approx 15 secs later I was summoned into the Stasis room.....it was very odd (there was no mage in my group btw).
Cleric, warrior, shammy, necro of Emarr
Mendler

Server: Emarr

Postby Brohg » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:22 pm

Case 1: you were in agro range of the monster, but he was distracted by agro on the other group, so you don't get agro. mob dies before that changes.

Case 2: you were in agro range of the monster (they agro the whole room), but he was distracted by agro on the other group (the rest of the raid), so you don't get agro. the raid dies, so the mob looks for someone new to agro. you're in the room, you get on agro, but don't have time to even notice the swords before getting smushed.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Rasdom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Rasdom

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby knytul » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:14 pm

knytul

Paladin Main

Postby ZsaZsa Vavoom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Okay. So I think in here is the answer to question 1, though perhaps we can state it formally. Is this accurate:

You cannot gain proximity aggro from a mob if that mob already has one or more players on its aggro list.

That sounds like a formal statement of what people are saying. If that is accurate, it would indeed explain what I have seen happen, and would be a good lesson to learn. The Rottrued event is a really good case to consider, since that event is picky about how many people are on the aggro list.

If the first lesson is true, I think the second question is just a special case of the first. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the mobs/event effectively has zone-wide (or at least room-wide) aggro range. So I was chilling out (stupidly as it turns out) with no aggro, because of rule 1: other players were on the aggro list. Once they were dead, rule #1 no longer applied, and because the mobs had zone/room-wide aggro, I was in serious trouble.

Sound about right?
ZsaZsa Vavoom

Paladin Main

Postby Brohg » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 am

Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 am

I humbly disagree. We have had 12 people next to a totem without adds, because only 6 were on agro on the mobs (all three of them).

So not sure if they have changed that and the proximity used to be the issue, but I can assure you it is not the case as of last week.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Brohg » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:59 pm

I stand corrected then. Agro must have been passed around in a way I'm unaware of, in the instance I'm thinking of.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Normy

Paladin Main

Postby AbyssalMage » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm

I humbly state...

Reason 1 has been gone over....
Reason 2....
When you died, your agro was wiped off NPC hate list*
You where rez'd and took no action that gained notice by the NPC**
When Raid died, NPC reaction radius did a check and found you
You went splat!

This happens in Group and Raid content (always). The same script is used in raids or groups.

*Some NPC's AoE (or zone AoE) will put you on their (The NPC) agro list. This isn't guaranteed, just like some times casting a HoT or Buff on someone actively engaging a NPC wont get you noticed.

**Some NPC's hate lists (certain raid events) don't reset on death. This was special coding that the developers wrote into the script.
AbyssalMage

Beastlord Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:44 pm

In the raid event described in the thread, she had the cooldown hourglass icon after rezzing. She had no agro, indicating that her own death wiped her agro normally.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Abazzagorath » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Rottrued totems, its 10+ on aggro of the mobs and you cause adds. That value includes pets, warders, pet weapon pets, swarm pets.
Abazzagorath

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby ZsaZsa Vavoom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:05 am

ZsaZsa Vavoom

Paladin Main

Postby Peaky » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:08 pm