[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Hybrid Swing Timer

Hybrid Swing Timer

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Hybrid Swing Timer

Postby Blabberpuss Stryyker » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:03 am

Post on EQ forum from SKLug, an EQ coder:

Because players have no real window into the QA process. {And we are glad they don't}

The code that actually caused this bug in particular has been around since early April. {This has been broken for a long time}

It's something that's difficult to test for unless you're specifically looking for it, {We didn't want to spend the time to look for the problem because it takes a lot of effort}

though arguably better notes from code could have pointed QA in that direction. That's always something we try to improve. {The coders didn't take any notes of what in the hell they were doing so we can't reproduce what they did, although we have it on our 'to do' list to take more notes}

In terms of why we don't turn it around faster and patch immediately--that's because we've tried that before, and ended up causing worse problems. {When we try and repair stuff we break, we always seem to make it worse}

This is not a problem that causes people to not be able to play the game, which is the only kind of problem that gets patched immediately without the full QA process. {There is still a TON of content you can immerse yourself in while this remains broken, last I checked, Crushbone was empty, and as long as you keep paying, I mean playing, QA can give a rat's azz whether there is something else that is broken}

Even then, there is usually at least several hours of QA done. {Even when it involves losing the paying public, it takes us several hours to wake QA up and get them their meds and coffee}

In any case, I'm not in charge of when patches happen, etc. {Hey, thank goodness I am not in charge here, and really, I don't have a clue who is}

I'm only estimating from experiences in the past. I'm sure we'll know more Monday. {Well, maybe not Monday, but at least I can get away from here for the weekend without anyone hoping for a patch over the weekend}
Blabberpuss Stryyker

Paladin Main

Re: Hybrid Swing Timer

Postby Unmei » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:32 am

What exactly is the point of this post, other than bashing the one dev who actually gives us decent feedback, and making you look like...well, nevermind.
Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Khauruk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:01 am

Sklug's done huge thing for us lately, you won't get much sympathy from any of us by bashing him.
Khauruk

Server: Luclin

Postby dindaur » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:39 am

oh, he only said the stuff in bold... hah. ok. i have to reread then ;p
Lord Dindaur Stoutbrew
dindaur

Server: the nameless

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Jace » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:41 am

Jace

Server: Maelin Starpyre

Paladin Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Bard - Alt/Box

Postby Druegar » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:58 pm

Druegar

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Wow, not that I really mean to defend anyone here, but most manage to complain on these boards all they want about the devs. Why the horrible language bashing each other after it? I mean, seriously, this is what we are reduced to?

Personally, I found the commentary funny. It is interesting to know that at least part of this has been an issue since April but they still don't have a fix for it. Although, as a coder for things MUCH more simple than the millions of lines of code in EQ, I can understand that these issues take time to track down. Doesn't stop me from wanting it sooner though.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Hulkling » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:56 pm

aaand I think we're done here!
Hulkling

Veteran -

Paladin Main

Return to Crusaders' Warhall