Paladin PVP Currently. Leland, 5/29/06)

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Paladin PVP Currently. Leland, 5/29/06)

Postby Valya Wanderfoot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:38 pm

note: moved 9/24/06 when old PON boards came back up briefly.- val

leland
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:17 pm Post subject: Paladin PVP currently. Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have tryed all the classes way past 20. I currently have a rogue 60+ and all others besides my paladin to about 30s. I recently started a paladin currently lvl 20. Now, everyone talks about lack of dps of a paladin makes them not very good in pvp. They can survive yes, but not kill much. Is there something we can do as paladins, from low to high-end, that can help increase our dps at all? I know get good weapons. I mean from what ive read, most of our stuns dont work high end. so any tactics against most classes? my friend plays a high end sk 60s, and i want to kill him. as well as survive mostly on zek

Bagar the Sexy
Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Paladins are the best pvp class IMO hands down. I've never fought anyone at my equivalent gear level that I couldn't beat except an enchanter guildie, and even that was quite awhile ago. As far as increasing dps, aside from weapons, AA's, accuracy, attack, combat effects, fero, and cleave.. which are all still going to be minimal at best except the AA's... there isn't much.

My tactic is generally just get the most Ds you can (with my two clickies alone i'm at 72 DS) and use epic click whenever you get low on health to conserve mana. Other than that just keep at it until they die - usually no one except very high end monks can outlast paladins, but even monks can be delt with.

Bagar the Sexy the Sexy & Cleric Box
Retired, but not forgotten Smile

Xzolan Silverblade
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Monks using 2.0/innerflame combo have been the only class to beat me so far. And thats mostly due to luck on procs. Key is to conserve your mana, stagger your HoD and LoH really. With a high dmg 2 hander, jousting can be deadly to your opponent. Enchanter guildies cant do enough dps to kill me with the resists out there. Even tapped for mana, they dont land their nukes enough to kill before a LoH/HoD timer refreshes and its just a matter of time before they run OOM.

Bards can be a pain sometimes. Really just depends if they are gonna selos around regenning while you chase them lol.

No other class can compete against a Pally who knows how to survive.

"Don't like it?? There's the Zone, don't go LD on the way out!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

olts sonofolts
Cavalier

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
i got beaten up by a ranger, but thats maybe cause she is way ahead in gear and aa Smile i just couldnt do enough dmg and couldnt keep up my mana to heal myself. on olts, the only class that ever killed me was an enchanter too Smile

olts & caero

Nodden
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Trouble with paladin pvp is the lack of a finishing ability like dps burst disc and lacking any way of stopping the enemy from kiting.
A paladin can't really kill any class with equivalent gear. If your opponent gets a little low on health/mana he can just kite you while drinking healing potions and medding mana. There is nothing you can do to stop anyone from kiting you for however long they wish. Sure you can run after them and maybe land a hit now and then, but your already weak dps will become a nonfactor when you're being kited. A bard will win vs a paladin every time. Kite and manadrain until paladin is oom. Then engage in melee and mez or kite to regen hp all the while keeping paladin oom. Won't take long until the paladin has to bail or die. Other than bard no class can beat me but they can keep from dying for as long as they can stay awake.

leland
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Theres gotta be a way to stop the other classes. To me, its not the class that is bad, its always the player. Thats why im picking brains to find out what we can do to stop them. Sure, we dont have huge dps compared to other classes, root will rarely land high end, and stuns will probably hit if your lucky, but theres gotta be another way. Jousting on the horse? what is it that we can do more as a class, to beat the other classes when we are faced against them. Any items like throwing nets we can use that will land high end, that might root them or stun them, or atleast snare them? is there a spell we can use when we see a manaburn?.. divine aura i think right could counter that.. Im looking for experianced paladins who fought pvp or atleast arena with other classes and give a few ideas and tacts. Or, if you know the class really well, what are some defensive moves we might be able to pull against each class. Maybe we can even put it all together and make a guide out of it. I appreciate everyones post and help in this matter, because i like playing a paladin. I LOVE the honor,chivalry, everything about the Knight hood. IF i wanted to always kick ass, for pvp i would of been a SK, there more offensive. But i cant EVER play a evil knight. i cant even fathom that idea. So Come knights and lets put our heads together to devise a plan against the other classes, to aid us in battle for you never know when the time arises, when we must be our arms against them to save someone else.

Anngelus
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Just in my few experiences in dueling (not on PVP server) but in arena, I dueled a friend Ranger, who had a lot more AA than me, I think I was self buffed at 9500 1800 ac wielding Blade of Disruption with no dps aa. He liked to try and start out meleeing me until it turned ugly because of my mitigation and started kiting me. He would snare me (low resists) and run with FoE and I could not even touch him. He of course beat me the first time. Next time, I took a beating in the beginning, while I continually despelled him to having no buffs. I had Holy Steed, and even snared, while on Holy Steed you still run faster then run5, plus you have less HP through buffs to have to contend with. I found that Nullify Magic works wonders, just throw on your defensive disc to help eat some of the damage, instance cast HoT Potions if needed, and get them despelled, then just eat away as you can. Mind you, I am not sure on if that works on PVP like it does the arena, or if there is any code of conduct or such or if it is simply kill or be killed.

Lamini
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
while we're on PVP... anyone know if VT bow of shadows work vs PCs? (mana tap), allas has very little info of players stating it works. how bout Time's adorned ring (mana drain)... sorry lazy to do research. if that bow works, it would be something vs running casters. and that ring if it worked vs PCs, would be lovely to land on PCs and keep their mana down. both of these running simultaneously = 500 mana per tick drain against casters.

Bow of shadows:
Effect: Spirit Curse
1: Decrease Mana by 100 per tick
3: Increase Curse Counter by 9

Timestone Adorned Ring:
Effect: Soul Claw (unresistable?)
1: Add Proc: Soul Claw Strike
drains 80 mana/tick from the victim for 5 ticks. A total manaloss of 400mana.

Nodden
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Manaburn and DT and such don't matter in duels. You simply make sure you don't get below 40% health which is easy for a highend paladin(yes DA will block MB).
Dispells aren't very powerful vs someone that carries several instaclicks(every1 on Zek that doesn't suck has at least 2).
No there is no way to stop the other classes from kiting you. Jousting on horse is a joke, go ahead and try it. A little while ago you could use snare potions combined with throwing weapons so that the snare potion would not get used up but you would still proc snare. Those we're some fun times but of course they "fixed" it so that doesn't work anymore.
Bow of Shadows(spirit curse) does work vs players and is unresistable(-1000 magic check). Timestone Adorned Ring(soul claw) is -100 magic check and sucks in PvP.

leland
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Snare pots still work. they have a level req and 1 use only but there still useable. People do high-end and low-end carry insta clickies, but theres always hope! lol. So it seems like i need to figure out a way to stop kiting. it seems the only "theres nothing you can do about kiting" so if we can devise a way to stop that, then were golden lol. Bards got there swarm kiting nerfed and had to devise a way to work around it.. a little bit after that, poof charm kitting came out. They take a ability and such they have and find a way to make it work, so all of us paladins should be able to think of something to stop it, wouldnt you say?

Nodden
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
The snare pots that work have rare drops as required ingredients. The snare doesn't last long and gets resisted often so you need to throw them over and over. It's pretty much not an option.
I've been playing paladin on PvP for about 4 and a half years, I have a pretty good grasp of what we can and can't do.

leland
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Sir Nodden,

I was not discounting anything that you said. I was only trying to think of new ways to do things. I figure that if we all put our heads together perhaps we can find a way. Im glad to have your imput, specially if you have been pvping with a paladin for 4 1/2 years.. Your information is vital. But no 2 minds think alike, and so i was in hopes of suggestions and ideas for the paladin community. I hope your experiance with all the different classes you have had to face, lose or win you can tell us about, perhaps it will help us other knights when we go against them. Haver you considered writing a tactics book for pvp for fellow paladins by chance with your vast knowledge and experiance you have had to deal with and the things you have learn with the pvp world? I would be very interested in reading it. I use to read alot of the tactics on caster realms, however i dont think anything in those suggestions they offer is any newer then 2001, and we all know how much the classes have changed good and bad since then. If anyone else has any suggestions or aid, post it, id love to read about the victorys and defeats!!. all knowledge i learn is good, and im trying to be the best knight i can be,.

Nodden
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
There's lots of stuff a paladin can do. However.. snaring, rooting, mezzing or stunning in PvP don't enter the list hence we can't stop other players from running or kiting no matter how hard you think about it. Noone wants this to change more than I do but that's just the way things are. I curse the developers for not giving us reliable, short dps bursts and/or snares that land in PvP.

dpawson
PoN Admin Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
So I've done very little PvP, but I'll ask out of curiosity and just for yucks...

The few times I have messed around PvP, I found that most spells did not ever stick, as many have mentioned. But one spell that did manage to land from time to time was Flash of Light. Not sure if I just got lucky or what, but I could blind my opponent with at least a moderate chance of success. I'd think this would at least put a cramp in the style of someone trying to kite you, no?

Nodden
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Flash of light is like root. Lands very rarely and when it does it lasts only until next check ie max one tick.

Xzolan Silverblade
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Bards are the only class you have no chance of countering. Rangers you just have to stay on their ass and close enough for range not to work. You get a few good hits on them, they have to stop to heal. Their heals take longer then ours so you can get a few more wacks on them while they are doing that. If they are using heal potions, there is a lantern that drops off the named skeles in the Ssra mines that have 10 charge 4 slot dispell. Decent cast and you can strip somone fast, that way if they pop a potion you can dispell it off rather fast. If they have clickies, you strip em twice and they have to re click and wait for recast to use the hot potion. Rangers are cake in pvp if you stay consistant and counter their range. Whenever they stop to cast anything, you can get some hits in. As ghey as it sounds, holyforge is ok if you get lucky on the crips, those 2.5k crips can hurt.

"Don't like it?? There's the Zone, don't go LD on the way out!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

khrokhro
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I know pvp through duels only as i'm on a blue server for almost 5 years. Dueling has become extremely boring as it takes forever and usually we do not manage to kill each other unless one is at a significant gear disadvantage or we set very specific rules to the duel. The 100% resist rate makes anyone that is willing to run mostly unkilleable by a paladin.

Aristorx
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have to agree with xzolan here , were fairly unstopable , the only real trouble i ever have is with monks 2.0/innerflame , also dueled a monk a couple months ago that veeshans peak 4 slot dispell stick , and he had some type of range item that would snare me at almost 500 to all resists 1 out of 10 throws, that was alot of fun.

Monks are imo a bit overpowered with their 2.0 clicky being unresistable good for us it can be dispelled = P .

Bagar the Sexy
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Well, ward of tunare and heal over times help a lot with monks. Generally if i'm fighting a monk I keep WoT and pious cleansing on at all times, and I try to stay above 70% health.

Bagar the Sexy the Sexy & Cleric Box
Retired, but not forgotten Smile

Ironheart
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:11 am Post subject: zek Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Pvp on zek for a paladin is hard lol, Wizards are easy meat and alot of other casters are the easiest to kill because they have low hp and you can bash them to interupt their spells, but im 66 and level 70s that are geared very well just romp on me mainly rangers and other high dps classes

Return to Crusaders' Warhall