stuns for Agro, and spells for tanking? (Ronder 1/17/06)

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

stuns for Agro, and spells for tanking? (Ronder 1/17/06)

Postby Valya Wanderfoot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:31 pm

note: moved 9/24/06 when old PON boards came back up briefly.- val

ronder
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:42 am Post subject: what stuns to use for agro and spell set up for tanking Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hi,

Just hit 58 was wondeing what and how many stuns to use for good agro control and which ones to u like to use ,, also what other spells some of you keep memed at this level ..

alast question is any reccomedation on what is good hp/ac level to tank in POV OT camp or WW or EW

Thanks

Ronder

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1159300

fenrian
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I cant remember the names of the stuns at lvl 58, so I will try to descibe my strategy for stuns and spell gems instead. 6 spells I always keep up, My most current hot, my best fast heal, my best group heal and 3 stuns.

My stun strategy is the same as many others, keep two of the force line up and the highest blowback up. If it has not yet been umplemented, it will be soon (yes,yes, I know, we have heard that before), they plan to scale our stun agro by the lvl of the stun. so Mem the highest lvl of the force line, this will be your primary agro getter, then figure out what the next highest lvl force spell is that isnt on the same timer as the highest. If the agro has not yet been scaled, you can get away with meming Cease. On incoming, hit the mob with the lower stun, you want it to be resisted, the mob should come straight to you, once the mob is in the camp, hit it with your higher stun to give you a moment of mitigation and allow slow to land, then hit it with the lower again once it refresh's. You can then cast one stun every 15-30% of the mobs life depending onthe group to maintain agro lock. Save the higher stun incase you take a dmg spike and need to mitigate while CH lands. the blow back stun has 2 uses for me, repositioning mobs, the mob will get blown in the direction you are facing when you start casting, so use it to drag mob out of walls. It will also interupt spells even if the mob is stun immune or over the stuns lvl cap, the blowback element is a separate componant and if not resisted will move even a raid mob enough to interupt its spell. I save this for mobs that gate, these spell just use too much mana and the blowback screws up good mob surround and dps will drop until every one gets back on target. using this strategy with kei, you will always be full mana, and without, you can go for a fairly long time befire medding.
Make sure your puller doesnt pull with snare, I really cant say enough bad things about pulling with snare, it has a high hate factor, making it harder to get agro, the mob has a higher chance of bringing a friend along since it is out in the field longer and may path by a roamer, and it slows pulls down horribly. If you are pulling, use the lower stun, you want the mob to come instantly, I have seen pali pull with higher stuns, after lulling mob next to it, then have lull wear off while the mob stops to nuke you after it was stuned.

I think 6k hp is recomended for WW and EW, but i think I did it at 5.5k.

doledar
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I keep my 2 highest level stuns up, and celestial stun AA just for mob placement. The higher level stuns had ~1600 hate added to them recently which helps alot. Especially when your group like to jump out in front of you and tash and slow before the mob even gets into camp.

At 58 you don't have that option and mana is more of an issue. Cease, decease(?), and Stun are mana efficient spells that will generate equal amount of aggro. Any two of those spells should be enough to hold agro.

Stun mob on incoming (as soon as mob is in range) and Stun with the second stun once once the spell bar refreshes. I usually continue to stun with my highest level stun every time it refreshes after that.

This should be enough to hold aggro. If you are loosing aggro start using the second stun more, but in the end aggro control is a group effort.

I have a Necro friend I play with everyday who has all his crit AA's. He like to pile up the dots on the mob then sit down. No matter what I do I loose aggro. But the Necro knows what he is doing and never pulls aggro when he know he will go splat on a high level mob.

doledar
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Double post

Last edited by doledar on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

doledar
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
double post

Last edited by doledar on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boleslav
Cavalier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
At 58, I kept up Cease, Stun, and Holy Might. You have the option of swapping Force of Akera in for Holy Might if you want, which you probably want to do. Force of Akera was added after I was 60 or so, but it is useful at your level. Force of Akera casts fast, 1.0 sec, and stuns mobs up to level 63, but it uses more mana. Holy Might casts a bit slower, and only stuns mobs up to 55. It also has a DD component which adds a bit of aggro, but is no good for stunning mezzed mobs.

My spell lineup would look like this if I were 58 again:

Ethereal Cleansing (I always keep best HoT in slot 1)
Yalup III (or Nullify Magic if I am pulling something that needs to be dispelled)
Healing Wave of Prexus (best group heal)
Superior Healing (best direct heal)
Instill (best root)
Cease (even at 70)
Stun (general stun)
Force of Akera (mana hog stun)

I remember tanking PoV at 60th level with 5k hp buffed, so you should be ok if you have a good slower and healer. Should be able to do outer easily.

Good luck to you!

Boleslav Forgehammer
Paladin of Brell in his 70th Campaign
Tunare (E'ci) – Sacred Destiny

Zanador
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I would go with Cease, Desist, and Force of Akera. Depending on what you are tanking cease, stun, desist, holy might, etc aren't going to do anything cause mobs will be > 55. so use cease and desist cause they are pretty fast casting and cheap akera is fast and actually lands on things. Once you get Force of Alkalaie at 61 or 62 swap that out for desist. Hope this helps.

ronder
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
great help so far ... does any one know if nulify magic created good agro

I know it does when a sham or chanter used a dispell ?

Ronder

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1159300

varutia
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
It does create agro, but very little. In some situations it is a great pulling spell, it is a shame we don't get upgrade to it in PoP. This is something I didn't really get at the time, rangers got the upgrade to it and we didn't. I was probably one of the few Paladin who actually wanted the upgrade.

Boleslav
Cavalier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Pulling with a dispell has become more important in the Darkhollow expansion as well. Lots of mobs get hasted and buffed a lot. Pulling them without dispell makes the fights MUCH tougher.

Boleslav

Syren Biznitch
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:41 pm Post subject: Spell Set up Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
see, told you i would have another question,

so if i set up my spell gem set as this, it would be decent for tanking and OT?

spell 1/ dispell of some sorts
spell 2/ stun of some sorts
spell 3/ stun of some sorts
spell 4/ root of some sorts
spell 5/ HoT of some sorts
Spell 6/ Fast heal of some sorts
spell 7/ yaulp of some sorts
spell 8/ misc. spell of some sorts

would that be decent enough?

"Don't hate me because I am better than you"

Carmaris
Noble Squire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
If I'm in a group, I always have my best group heal memmed. Never know when you'll need it to either heal or pull aggro.

Trying to think back to when I was a young paladin...think my spell lineup usually looked like this:

1) HoT
2) Root
3) Fast heal
4) Stun
5) Stun (4 & 5 are normally two highest level stuns, would place Cease in for gem 4 if pulling)
6) Group Heal
7) Buff gem (usually kept Valor of Marr up since it would fade so fast, swapped out for other buffs as necessary. With haste potions, use this for combat proc now days)
Cool Situational--usually big, fast heal; DA if soloing
High Elf Archon
Debeo Amicitia
Valya Wanderfoot

Return to Crusaders' Warhall