[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - 2 boxing: Shaman w/ mage or Mage w/ shaman?

2 boxing: Shaman w/ mage or Mage w/ shaman?

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

2 boxing: Shaman w/ mage or Mage w/ shaman?

Postby Boogoog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Hey there-

I've been boxing a mage with my shammy main. Both toons are 85 (1.5k AA on shammy, 800 AA on mage). I've been doing it only for about 6 months. I like it a lot. The mage's additional dps and utility makes adventuring on my own much more efficient and fun.
Sometimes I use mercs -- (tank, melee) more than (tank, healer) -- depending on the situation. I very recently acquired J5 mercs and have yet to see them in real action, so I don't know how much I can push things with them.

Note that I'm still only toiling in SoF and SoD zones. I want a few more levels and AA before tackling HoT.

I like playing the Shaman as the main since that is the class I've been so accustomed to playing, and I'm good at it. Lately, however, I wonder if I could get more mileage with my duo if I played the Mage as my main and boxed the Shaman.

What are some opinions from you fellow shaman? Do you prefer them as mains or boxes?

Boog
Boogoog

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box

Re: 2 boxing: Shaman w/ mage or Mage w/ shaman?

Postby Kaisung » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Honestly, I think that is a playstyle question that only you can answer. I box my Shaman with a Ranger Main and an Enchanter box, and I love the support offered by the Shaman. On the rare occasion that I have single boxed the Shaman, I have found it to be a pretty awesome toon in it's own right. I do have a Mage on the chanties account, but I do not believe I have ever boxed the pair together. I will say that I solo my Mage pretty regularly though, in some places I am not sure my other toons could solo themselves, and adding a Shaman as support in those situations would likely allow me to do even harder content. Play around with either as a main for a while, and see which you like better. That's really what it comes down to.
Bolverkr 91 Ranger
Kaisung 91 Shaman
Kaisung

Server: 7th Hammer

Ranger Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Boogoog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 pm

I agree with you 100% Kaisung. Can't know until I try. Works in RL, why not in EQ too, eh?

I guess the question I should have asked is best for the Mage boards: Why do you love your Mage as your main? It's rather subjective but I like hearing what others have to share.
Boogoog

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby fendaann » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am

Both toons can be good mains or good boxes with the proper hot keys set up for their roles.

it really is a question of play stile and where you plan to spend the AA's on both toons and what mobs you plan to kill to AA and level

Set up hot keys for both and switch back and forth as main depending on the mob or event.
Over time your find your self on one toon over the the other depending on mob or level or low AA's and then it might switch to the other toon at higher levels.
Be flexable love both toons and have fun.

mage main- would normaly be spending pet AA to Off tank and AA's to kill elementals faster as Elementals mobs are their perfered path to kill faster.
Sham main is good if you need more healing then what mercs are giving you. healing AA's are you using the sham for crowd control to park extra mobs with VP/root.
fendaann

Server: Quellious - POVAR

Wizard Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Boogoog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am

I definitely need to set up some hot keys on the shaman to make boxing him easier when I do try to main with the mage.

I do enjoy healing, debuffing, dotting, rooting, etc which is why I love the shaman as my main. I don't typically use a healer merc,preferring to do it myself on a tank merc. I haven't really explored other setups, like tanking with mage pet and using healer merc, as I need to invest more mage AAs in pet defense.

I was doing Beza with them and 1 tank merc before I had my J5 mercs. I may try Zeka now and see of the xp flows any faster, or I may try what someone suggested on these boards and use a melee dps merc on burn while I tank Beza mobs using counterbias and rooting it to hold aggro off merc. Not sure how to maximize the mage in that situation, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.
Boogoog

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box

Return to Soloing / Duoing / Multiboxing