[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - GamSettingsMover v1 - A tool to move settings after merges

GamSettingsMover v1 - A tool to move settings after merges

UIs, Macros, Hotkeys, Parsing, Hardware and other sundry discussion about how the game is played.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

GamSettingsMover v1 - A tool to move settings after merges

Postby Gamanern » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:00 am

I have seen plenty of conversations about how people are going to keep their settings after the server merges occur shortly.

To make the process easier for those users that aren't comfortable with copying and renaming files, I built a tool to simplify the process greatly. Just select the directory (guided), select the servers and character and hit the copy button and you are done!

For details see the changelog and screen shots later in this post.

Give it a try, let me know if you like it, or if there is anything that you would like added to it. Obviously any changes will need to fit with the capabilities of the program.

You can check out the GamSettingsMover website at:

Or you can just straight to the download page:

Information to help you getting started is available at:

And you can view the full changelog here:

As always, feel free to share this program within your guild, but please link back to this post on this forum so they can get my little sales pitch. :D

GamSettingsMover v1.0.0 - June 6th, 2010

* Easily copy settings to work with server merges and character renames.

* Guided process to help find the game directory

* Drop downs for selection of old server, new server and character name.

* Automatic backup of any files that are about to be overwritten.

Screen shots:

A sample showing if my character was moved to the Rathe server and had to gain an X in the name:

Gamanern

Server: Maelin

Warrior Main
Wizard - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Re: GamSettingsMover v1 - A tool to move settings after merges

Postby Brohg » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:19 am

What's the "GN" file? I'm not familiar with that, is it something that works with GamboSoft's utilities?
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Gamanern » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:29 am

Not sure exactly. It is built by EQ itself and has the character name included, so I brought it across. It might have something to do with the notes available in game (game notes?) which you can get at with /note or something like that.
Gamanern

Warrior Main
Wizard - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:50 pm

nah, /notes is just notes.txt
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Tordail » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:42 am

Hey Gam - quite like this (and your other work) - thanks for your time!

Question for you, though - I downloaded GamSettingsMover and tried to run the setup file. It pops up a window saying that it's verifying the application, then pops up another window that says "Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files." It does this when I extract everything to the desktop and try to run Setup and also when I just double-click Setup inside the ZIP folder.
~
Tordail

Veteran -

Server: Luclin

Shaman Main

Postby Gamanern » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Tried the installer on my machine and my wife's machine, so Win7 and WinXP, and both installed correctly.

It is using the built in installer package from the compiler itself, so doesn't behave how I would like, but I haven't yet looked up what free options I have for building installers myself, but it is about time that I do. One thing I did find was that it installs into a folder called 'Microsoft' ... so I will need to find that setting and fix it for later releases, as that didn't happen under the previous version.

Anyway, as this is really only going to be used a few times, you can easily just get the stand alone version, run it to do the work you want, then delete it afterward. You can always pick it up again from my website.
Gamanern

Warrior Main
Wizard - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Tordail » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Okay, I'll give that a go :) Thanks!
Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Survivar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:51 am

Thanks, made switching all the files for all the characters I play extremely fast and easy.
Survivar

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby Gamanern » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 am

Updated the program to make it even easier:
* Displays an Ok/Cancel dialog with file size and date stamp before overwriting anything
* Displays confirmation of the files copied once completed
* Greys out the copy button after a successful copy so you don't accidentally copy twice
* Added in extra location to automatically try: "EverQuest Trilogy"
* If it cannot find your directory in the standard areas, it will look for a Sony directory, and if that isn't found, it will start you in the program files directory. This should get you closer to your installed directory if it isn't one of the standards already.
* Updated the program to handle upper and lower case correctly.

The new version is available on the download link in the opening post.

As you would already know, the server merges are happening right now, so you will want to have your settings files ready for when you log in again. Either use this program, or do it manually following the instructions on the stickied post

If you have logged in before you have copied your settings across, EQ would have created new blank UI files for you. Simply run the program or do the manual change and allow it to overwrite the newer blank UI files with your older detailed ones.
Gamanern

Warrior Main
Wizard - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Tordail » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 pm

GN is guild notes - it's an officer-only file, as I understand it.

Gam - just wanted to pass along compliments from the guildmates of mine who were smart enough to use your program. Everyone who used it said they loved it and it was incredibly easy and worked beautifully. Kudos!
Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Return to Game Mechanics