[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - A rant!

A rant!

UIs, Macros, Hotkeys, Parsing, Hardware and other sundry discussion about how the game is played.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

A rant!

Postby Ferahl » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:34 am

Hi. I haven't "earned" the right to "rant", but I'm gonna rant anyways, because I am just THAT frustrated and angry, and, well, did I say I am frustrated and angry??

I wanna know why in the heck SOE insists on changing the UI for no good reason??!! I mean, why do I have to keep learning a new UI all the frikking time?

Why are the Hot Buttons changed from a box to a bar?? (This is good why?? Instead of a neatly tucked away box, I now have a frikking bar accross my screen... Oh this is an improvement!!)

And yes I DLd a custom UI Hot Button box to make up for the goofy awfull "new" default horizontal UI hot button box (WTF were they thinking??).

Why have the spell and buff icons been changed from perfectly functional and understandable icons into meaningless, unintellagable blobs?? God, with the "new" icons... even if I squint really hard, I can't make heads or tails of a green blob. Wow, make thngs needlessly frustrating why don't ya? I am looking for icons that actually make sense (Like the old ones did...And WTF was wrong with the old icons anyways?).

I suspect that I have been the victim of "change for change sake", just so that someone can have a job. I am happy that "someone" has a job, but I am getting sorta mad about having to learn a new UI every time someone needs to justify their job... I have my own job, and I wanna play EQ when I don't have to work. So stop doing goofy give someone a job crap, and do stuff that matters... or at least do stuff that matters to me (changing icons doesn't matter to me. LOL)

End of rant.

Heh, did I fail to say that I am very very very angry? Angry even enuff to post a rant on this board. Heh, I don't guess that it even matters (Heh, and yes I know that my gear sucks and so I don't really matter, but still I pay for ya'll to play.).

Real end of rant :)
Shaman of tooth, claw and tail!
Ferahl

Server: Michigan

Postby avelariel » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:42 am

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/boa ... .id=185825 for lots of ranting and also some ways to fix the problem
avelariel

Postby Tarnnok » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:17 am

Tarnok Felspear
Ogre Warpriest of Rallos Zek

- I'm an Ogre, damnit! This is as good as my post gets!
Tarnnok

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Samanna » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:29 am

Samanna

Veteran -----

Server: Prexus

Shaman Main

Postby Tordail » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:42 am

~
Tordail

Veteran -

Server: Luclin

Shaman Main

Postby Tarnnok » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:09 am

Tarnnok

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Poguk » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 am

Default UI, which I tinker with a bit. I use a lot of Black backgrounds on my windows, /viewport for my chat area, and transparent windows for chat. I never have to worry about a patch screwing up my UI, it's streamlined and simple, and it looks good.

. I use the same basic UI configuration for all my accounts.

Best UI ever... I see other people's UIs and they're so cluttered and specialized.... one patch breaks the hell outta them. No thanks.
Poguk

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby GheffGutterbrains » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:37 am

Arumans UI 4tw!! You can swap his icons out with a few variants if you want..

What my can do for you!
GheffGutterbrains

Server: Luclin (Veeshan)

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby Tordail » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:54 am

I tried to use Aruman's, but there were all kinds of "holes" in the chat box and other box borders (erm, not holes, but broken lines). :? He had posted that he was going to fix it, but every time I download it, the holes are still there. I am still terribly interested in it, since I very much like the spell bar configuration and the hotkey setup shown in his screenshot. Perhaps when he releases his Prophecy of Ro update, it'll be fixed.
Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Gloriana » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Ugh. I have to have PLAIN windows (detest useless ornamentation and scrollwork) and I must have vertical hotkey windows. I am dreading even logging in if my UI is hosed.

I also loathe the new EQ button, I find the fly out buttons difficult to manage.

I bring you gold and silver moons,
And diamond stars, and mists that float.
Gloriana

Server: Erollisi Marr

Postby Tordail » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:06 pm

If your UI has problems, try deleting the custom file EQUI_bankwnd.xml. Then reload your UI from the Options window and you should be set. That will force the game to use the default bankwnd.xml file, which of course should have been automatically updated. This fixed UI problems for two of my guildmates last night during the 10 minutes of gameplay we enjoyed before The Rathe went down.

I am not a fan of the EQ button either. I keep it almost completely transparent (just enough so that it's barely visible).
Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Samanna » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:23 pm

Shamelessly stolen from my guild forums:

For everyone who logs in today and finds out their custom UI no longer works here is the list of updated file for PoR release
copy these fron the default UI to your custom UI folder and that should fix the problem

gemicons01.tga (this file is not essential to update in Custom UIs)
EQUI.xml
EQUI_RaidOptionsWindow.xml
EQUI_AdvancedDisplayOptionsWnd.xml
EQUI_GuildManagementWnd.xml
dragitem34.tga
EQLSUI_CreditsWnd.xml
EQUI_AuraWnd.xml
EQUI_BlockedBuffWnd.xml
EQUI_BlockedPetBuffWnd.xml
EQUI_BankWnd.xml
EQUI_BigBankWnd.xml

There is an error in Bank and Bigbank windows that will prevent them from loading correctly you only need to fix 1 line in each file

XML Files are just normal text files so you can open them in any text editor (vim or notepad won't add formatting crap); once you open the files, replace WDT_Filigree with WDT_Rounded in each of those files (it only appears once in each file).
Samanna

Veteran -----

Shaman Main

Postby Tordail » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:33 pm

Thanks Sam! I'll link this to my guild boards. :o
Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Samanna » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm

You betcha. I'm not in yet, but these new/updated windows should still work with your custom skins/wrappers/buttons if you use a custom UI.
Samanna

Veteran -----

Shaman Main

Postby Ssarahh Mas'Scara » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:32 pm

Ssarahh Mas'Scara

Postby Tordail » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:40 pm

He probably just makes himself a chat channel and filters that channel to a separate window, then cuts part of the window off the screen so only the person's name shows up. I used to do that, and then just started keeping track of it mentally. Too many chat channels and windows in an officer's world. :(
Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Samanna » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:44 pm

Yeps. Channel 6 (I think) is SamSO (for SO Leopard, then Panther once I got it).

Hotkey:
/6 %T
/pause 2, /cast 9
/pause 2, /cast 9
/pause 2, /cast 9
/pause 2, /cast 9

(repeats for fizzle or refresh time)

This way I can: ESC, F1, F1, numpad. (puts panther on my pet); F2, F2, numpad. (puts panther on groupie no 2's pet); F4, F4, numpad. (puts panther on groupie no 4 if no pet, or on pet if there is one); etc.
Samanna

Veteran -----

Shaman Main

Postby Aruman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Cestus Dei
Veeshan(Luclin)
Aruman

Server: Veeshan(Luclin)

Shaman Main

Postby Tordail » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Aruman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Aruman

Server: Veeshan(Luclin)

Shaman Main

Postby Tordail » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Figured you already knew, so I wasn't gonna spam you. :o
I am anxious to get my hands on it tho, I have wanted to give it a go for quite awhile!

Holy UI, Batman! /giggle
Sorry :) Been a long day.
Tordail

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Phatcow » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:52 pm

70 Soothsayer of Bristlebane
Phatcow

Server: Bristlebane

Postby Samanna » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Samanna