[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Why were so many people still in New Orleans when it got hit

Why were so many people still in New Orleans when it got hit

Unmoderated, but let's be reasonable.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Why were so many people still in New Orleans when it got hit

Postby Sudancia » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:43 pm

I remember learning of this issue shortly after I lost my 3rd child. My child wasnt born yet, only 13 weeks in the womb. I was an emotional wreck and still am to a degree. However as a minority I was baffled to hear how many people said they couldn't get up and leave when the warning was given to get up and get out of the area.

Sure you have to consider the elderly who aren't very mobile, same for the mentaly challenged. There are people as well that aren't able to walk/run due to physical handicaps.

The issue that I want to touch base on are the poor. In every town or city there will be poor. However , from what I saw on Fox/CNN while they were refering to the people that couldn't leave cause they couldn't afford it they were showing pictures of people on top of their 3 story houses and on top of hotels waving to the camera/chopper for help. There wasn't one or 2 pictures of people with houses, nor 6 or 8. Most of the pictures we saw were of people on top of their houses. Sure there were some in the water walking while their family was in a boat that was being pulled, but most of what we saw were people on their houses.

We have a classic situation here that needs to be broken in the country and I for one as a minority am sick of this. People need to learn NOT TO RELY ON GOVERMENT!!!!!!!. In the end it is YOU who will get screwed when emergencies like this come. WE ALL have the power to make a choice. Even if you say you cant "afford" get leave there are things you can do. Get up, get a bag of clothes, and start walking away form the zone that will be effected. Get someone else to carry the food you will need. In a emergncy like this its time to hitch hike folks. Put that thumb out and wave it in the air!!! In my state this is illeagal(well, its illeagal to pick up people doing this) But if this were comming to my area, I WOULD MAKE A WAY! If for no other reason to protect my children, Not expect a free hand out via the goverment to come to my door and have a limo outside my govement housing ready to pick us up. I WILL MAKE a way. Even as a Fleo I would do this if I had no other way. I would also carry means of protection as well. This doesnt mean pulling it out every 2 minutes.

People are now finding out that the Police/Gov can't protect everyone. In the end it WILL BE EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF till a military/police force comes and takes control.

TOO many people expect the gov to be their saviour and TONS of people have now payed the Ultimate price for their "Laziness" or "Lack of common sense". This dosen't in any way mean I belittle those who died, only those who had a means to get out and refused, now they are screaming where is my food, where is my water, where is my protection, I got raped, you didn't protect me. (not me personaly)

PEOPLE it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. Those people who were on their house, mostly black, did have a way to get out of harms way. If you have enough credit to buy a 3 story home or to even rent one, they you can find a greyhound bus.

I perosnaly think most of the people could have left but they chose not to. For what ever lame excuse they could make up, they didn't want to leave. "They" (the people) didn't take this storm seriously enough.

Lvl 70 Stone Fists -No gods
Sonjawind

"Freedom is never given; it is won." - A. Philip Randolph
Sudancia

Postby Hodur » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:07 am

There were a lot of reasons people were left in the city. Some certainly just felt they could ride out the storm. However, I'm reading a lot of stories with people who were unable to transport sick, injured or frail relatives. People didn't want to abandon members of their family that couldn't be moved. Others were simply poor and couldn't afford transportation.

For those who haven't ever lived in an urban area: Many people do not have cars. New Orleans isn't like New York City, where most people don't have a car, but it was certainly prevalent in the poorer areas. The original post mentions that they saw people being rescued off rooftops as a sign that they had money for a car. I'm not sure where that assumption is coming from. Those people could have been renting. Those houses might not have even been theirs. Sitting on a roof is no indication of wealth. If these people could have had a vehicle, they probably would have had one.

Another thing I see is people saying: Why didn't they just take a bus out if they didn't have a car? Well, the Greyhound buses stopped running on Saturday night, according to the news. One group of tourists at a hotel near the convention center actually chartered buses to come get them, but those buses were not allowed into the city. Those tourists, who had flown in and not rented cars, since they were in walking range of everything, had no transportation out.
Hodur

Server: Louisville

Re: Why were so many people still in New Orleans when it got

Postby BubbaQuell » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:57 am

Hell is other people
-Jean-Paul Sartre
BubbaQuell

Postby Tangurena » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:04 am

Tangurena

Server: Luclin

Postby Hodur » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:19 am

Hodur

Postby haanzz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:01 pm

haanzz

Postby Gloriana » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:13 pm

I bring you gold and silver moons,
And diamond stars, and mists that float.
Gloriana

Server: Erollisi Marr

Postby Sudancia » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Last edited by Sudancia on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudancia

Postby Gloriana » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:03 pm

Gloriana

Server: Erollisi Marr

Postby Sudancia » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:16 pm

Last edited by Sudancia on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudancia

Postby Laguna » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:53 pm

Laguna

Server: Sayryn

Postby Sudancia » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:53 pm

Sudancia

Postby Grimdreg » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:51 pm

Grimdreg

Postby Sudancia » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:56 am

Sudancia

Postby veeshanMurtak » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:49 am

veeshanMurtak

Postby BubbaQuell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:25 am

BubbaQuell

Postby Krup » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:58 am

Krup

Server: Northern Virginia

Postby Horomen » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:55 am

Horomen

Server: Phoeniz, AZ

Postby Ughbash » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:03 am

Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Sudancia » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:51 pm

Sudancia

Postby veeshanMurtak » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:04 pm

veeshanMurtak

Postby Tangurena » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:47 pm

Tangurena

Postby Sudancia » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:44 pm

Sudancia

Postby Sudancia » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Sudancia

Postby veeshanMurtak » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:18 am

veeshanMurtak

Postby haanzz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:25 pm

haanzz

Postby Sordia Wintersbane » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:55 pm

Sordia Wintersbane

Postby Jaggedd » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:36 pm

Jaggedd Lyttlepill
The Grey's Only Ultra-Conservative, Rush-Loving, Non-Pants-Wearing Halfling!
Jaggedd

Postby Tangurena » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:15 pm

This thread comes across like Sorry Grandma, there isn't room for you in the car. I only managed to hitch a ride for me. So I put your pills and a snorkel next to the pillow. I hope you can swim, I'm out of here.
Tangurena

Postby Laguna » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:26 pm

Laguna

Server: Sayryn

Postby Hodur » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:44 pm

Hodur

Postby Jaggedd » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:06 am

Jaggedd

Postby MrKnowItAll » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:48 am

MrKnowItAll